How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-25-2007, 03:14 PM
Row faster...I hear banjos!!!!

Unhappy Yet another reason to drive safely on the street...

A teenager made this video after driving recklessly and crashing his SRT-4. Some images are graphic, but all are 'work safe'.

http://www.onetruemedia.com/shared?p...edium=text_url

Be safe out there!

-Chike

2013 Cosmic Blue 5spd Evo X GSR
2006 Galaxy Gray 6MT RX-8 (sold)
2006 Steel Gray WRX TR (sold)
1996 Brilliant Red SVX L (sold)
Old 09-25-2007, 03:26 PM
I brought some ham.

Send a message via AIM to Ricochet Send a message via MSN to Ricochet Send a message via Yahoo to Ricochet
boo freaking hoo. Drive like an idiot and you end up like that, I don't feel sorry for him at all. I'm just glad he didn't run into somebody else with a family.
Old 09-25-2007, 03:31 PM
Rebuilding

Registered SVX
I mean wth did he think was going to happen?

1994 SVX LS - 5spd AWD Emerald Green 202k miles PWR Radiator, HID 5000k, New paint job with issues, 17" STI BBS wheels, converted to 5spd AWD from FWD. Purchased from SVXyGirl 2/20/09 -- Undergoing complete rebuild
1993 Justy 4wd 5door- Teal of sorts , beater.
2008 OBXT Newport Pearl 65k miles
Old 09-25-2007, 03:43 PM
242,000 mi on oem trans

Registered SVX
Drive like an idiot, and dumb sh*t happens. Thank god he didn't wipe out anyone else. From the looks of the marks he was going more than "a little fast" With an SRT/4 he was probably running around 120-130mph. Not that I haven't ever done that, I was young & dumb once myself. Just lucky enough to escape (somewhat) intact.
Current Stable By Age:
'89 Subaru XT6 Silver "Audrey" as in Hepburn
'96 SVX LSi #767Brilliant Red "Lil Red" Now on the front burner. Looking for a totalled, but running parts car.
Old 09-25-2007, 04:22 PM
1995 Subaru SVX LSi Polo Green

Send a message via ICQ to Manarius Send a message via AIM to Manarius Send a message via MSN to Manarius Send a message via Yahoo to Manarius Send a message via Skype™ to Manarius
Registered SVX
I feel bad for the guy that he got injured that badly. I don't think anyone deserves that kind of pain and what not for an accident. However, that doesn't nullify the fact that drove poorly and nearly killed himself and possibly others.
(8/23/07-Present) 1995 Subaru SVX LSi (197k) Polo Green (#1102) 03/95
Mods: DDM Tuning 4500k 35w Low Beam HID, 100w H3 Bulbs, Extra Ground Cables, 15 minute $12.96 mod,
svxfiles designed transmission mount (), sporting a "new" tail light bar,
silver BBS rims, custom power steering cooler (one that doesn't dump ATF constantly), new negative lead cable, no more third or fourth gear
(1977-Present) 1977 Chevrolet Corvette (81k) Silver
(12/01/2011-Present) 2005 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited 5MT (97k)
I have a bad feeling about this.
-Obi Wan Kenobi
Old 09-25-2007, 05:50 PM
Happy SVX
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Anyone know what song that was?
1992 SVX LSL 5-Speed Sold at 180K 2019
1995 SVX Lsi Polo Sold at 118K 2007
Old 09-25-2007, 05:57 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
hard not to comment on something that has HUGE personal opinions. to keep this clean and simple, When I drive I take myself and people around me into account. He is lucky he was alone in the car and that he didn't hurt others.

On another note. You need to start asking car companies why they are making such powerful cars that CAN reach high speeds so quickly? More importantly why would you make a NEON that can do this? They are unsafe with 80hp and deadly w/ 300. Sorry that kind of power is reserved for cars that are able to handle it well at high speeds. The wrx falls in this same category. its not just the driver's fault... the company making these tin cans need to be held liable for their rolling garbage cans that reach the 150mph club

Tom
Old 09-25-2007, 09:19 PM
Now with more color

Send a message via Yahoo to subi-crosser
Registered SVX Classic SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manarius View Post
I feel bad for the guy that he got injured that badly. I don't think anyone deserves that kind of pain and what not for an accident. However, that doesn't nullify the fact that drove poorly and nearly killed himself and possibly others.

That is WHY the interest in AUTO-X is a GREAT thing!
I have shared a 'corner' with Doctors, Lawyers, Real Estate guys and 'commoners. They ALL sat the same thing to say.....

" I don't drive nearly as 'aggressively' since I started doing this"!!!

We should try to encourage ALL young drivers to 'partake of our sport!

It will give them a 'PLACE' to drive like a nut and SEE just how their 'skills' measure up to the 'old farts'. ( WITHOUT personal injury, damage to the car or a 'MANSLAUGHTER' charge!)

AUTOCROSS, FOREVER!!

"Can't go to work today. The 'voices' said to "Stay home and clean the guns".

Most famous Red-Neck last words...
" Hey Everybody, Watch This!!)

http://s306.photobucket.com/albums/nn272/subi-crosser/
Jerry
Old 09-25-2007, 10:55 PM
One teal and One yellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiketkd View Post
A teenager made this video after driving recklessly and crashing his SRT-4. Some images are graphic, but all are 'work safe'.

http://www.onetruemedia.com/shared?p...edium=text_url

Be safe out there!

-Chike
Thanks for the good links, Chike.

It's a good reminder to the careless drivers.

92 LS-L TEAL since Aug '01
92 LS-L YELLOW since Mar '05
Old 09-26-2007, 09:30 AM
Row faster...I hear banjos!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSSVX View Post
Thanks for the good links, Chike.

It's a good reminder to the careless drivers.
You're welcome. My only intent in starting this thread was to remind members of this board to drive safely. The teenager in the video was lucky to be alive, but not everyone is as lucky as he was.

2013 Cosmic Blue 5spd Evo X GSR
2006 Galaxy Gray 6MT RX-8 (sold)
2006 Steel Gray WRX TR (sold)
1996 Brilliant Red SVX L (sold)
Old 09-26-2007, 09:38 AM

Send a message via MSN to pavanbabut Send a message via Yahoo to pavanbabut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiketkd View Post
You're welcome. My only intent in starting this thread was to remind members of this board to drive safely. The teenager in the video was lucky to be alive, but not everyone is as lucky as he was.
Thts correct. I can say almost 95% of people in that kind of accidents see themselves in a coffin... this guy is really lucky to say not the least. But he did a gud thing making an informative film and let others know how it would be if you are in such a situation, I hope atleast 10% of those kind of drivers come to know what kind of situation they are going to be in .

-Pavan.
Old 09-26-2007, 09:33 AM

Send a message via AIM to SVXyGirl Send a message via Yahoo to SVXyGirl
Registered SVX
I worry more about other drivers. Then again, I was in a bad accident because of a stupid driver.

I worry about the SVX because people tend to head towards something they're staring at.

I'm scared!!!

Funny clip from Family Guy...
92 Claret SVX LS-L (180k) 09/91 #5,732
06 Suzuki Boulevard M50 7k
68 Cadillac Coupe DeVille (70k) Storage/hibernation for now.

Past SVXs:
94 SVX Emerald Pearl FWD (Sold)
96 SVX Bourdeaux LSi (Sold)
92 Pearl SVX LSL "Stay Puft" 5MT (140k) #148 (RIP)
95 Brilliant Red SVX LS (162k) 12/94 #564 "Killer Tomato" (RIP)

Old 09-26-2007, 09:42 AM
Freezepop's are Awesome!!!!
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Hocrest
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXyGirl View Post
... and they're shopping at a Subaru dealer
Old 09-26-2007, 10:56 AM
Missing in action

Send a message via AIM to It's Just Eric
Registered SVX
Hmm...Im gonna have to make an interpretation on tom's post to make a valid response to this...

Companies should make their proformance cars SAFER than the standard moidel, as well as faster. In the case of the srt-4, it's structurally identical to the neon. Would you feel safe in a neon going 120 mph? Probably not.

They make theese economy cars as light as possible, so the car can move itself with a smaller, more fuel efficiant engine. sadly, this means less material around you to help you ...um..not die.There's less wheel apron, less fender, less door, and less reinforcment in the a,b,and c pillars. usually saftey equipment is omitted for weight savings as well...Like, that car didnt appear to have ANY airbags, other than the drivers.

so..economy cars are light weight...proformance cars happen to be better the lighter they are..so somewhere in the evolution of the automobile, some jackass decided the only diffrence between a cheap, stipped out econocoffin and a full fledged race car was the motor and the suspension. they kindof forgot saftey

so, back to what tom was on about..I think any company selling a hopped up version of their lightweight econboxes should do something for passenger saftey as well, possibly reinforce the pillars, add soem door reinforcments, and up the strenghth of crumple zones, assuming the impact speeds for front end collisions will be higher than whats normal. Sure, a few hundred pounds might be added on, but it's not like they can't jsut give the thing an extra 10-20 hp more to compensate
You're gone but not forgotten. I mean, sure, I kindof don't remember some of the finer details..but I remember you were funny, and at one point you said spaghetti in Dutch....but definantly not forgotten

Old 09-26-2007, 11:36 AM

Send a message via MSN to pavanbabut Send a message via Yahoo to pavanbabut
Quote:
Originally Posted by It's Just Eric View Post
Hmm...Im gonna have to make an interpretation on tom's post to make a valid response to this...

Companies should make their proformance cars SAFER than the standard moidel, as well as faster. In the case of the srt-4, it's structurally identical to the neon. Would you feel safe in a neon going 120 mph? Probably not.

They make theese economy cars as light as possible, so the car can move itself with a smaller, more fuel efficiant engine. sadly, this means less material around you to help you ...um..not die.There's less wheel apron, less fender, less door, and less reinforcment in the a,b,and c pillars. usually saftey equipment is omitted for weight savings as well...Like, that car didnt appear to have ANY airbags, other than the drivers.

so..economy cars are light weight...proformance cars happen to be better the lighter they are..so somewhere in the evolution of the automobile, some jackass decided the only diffrence between a cheap, stipped out econocoffin and a full fledged race car was the motor and the suspension. they kindof forgot saftey

so, back to what tom was on about..I think any company selling a hopped up version of their lightweight econboxes should do something for passenger saftey as well, possibly reinforce the pillars, add soem door reinforcments, and up the strenghth of crumple zones, assuming the impact speeds for front end collisions will be higher than whats normal. Sure, a few hundred pounds might be added on, but it's not like they can't jsut give the thing an extra 10-20 hp more to compensate
This is exactly whats happening in auto industry these days. Every car company starts marketin each of their models starting from base model to high performance (maybe I have to say high power) fast cars using the same platform and body shell while sometimes shredding off those extra material which you get even in base model. There are many people out there who are desperate to buy these models at a lot cheaper prices compared to actual performance cars. If you see the car after the accident, you can definitely say that the C-pillar is not strong enough to sustain that kind of accident, I am sure he might not have tht much head and neck injuries if it is strong enough. This is what happens when u build a fast car based on normal street car chassis/body. You wont see this kind in WRX STi (just an example), since it is from rally bred and even though they stripe off all those door inserts and sounds proof material to keep it light, they keep their body shell upto the mark. I wonder when the car companies realize that weight is not the only factor that spoils performance of a car... which has been proven as wrong in case of Ferrari F430 coupe and convertible.

I would like to see NCAP or whtever organisation that does those crash tests in USA, should consider a different approach and even different crash tests for "so-called" performance/fast cars.

-Pavan.

Last edited by pavanbabut; 09-26-2007 at 11:38 AM.