SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-02-2006, 07:55 AM
Was MacGyver

Registered SVX
Need help with belts ASAP!

Tried the search, but so much is on here these days it is hard to sift through everything... And I don't have much time, I apologize.

I can't drive my SVX these days because of worn powersteering belt to the point it is shredded. At this point not sure I would even be able to take it across town to be fixed, and I'm fine doing it myself anyway.

However, if anyone has done this and can give a quick how-to it would be appreciated. Power steering AND alternator belt, might as well do both at the same time.

Is there anything I need to buy besides the two belts? I want to order parts ASAP, like today if possible, because I'm sure they aren't just in stock and I figure the dealer would need a day or two so I can pick them up Saturday.

I really want to get the SVX back in running shape and I have a big window of time this coming week so PLEASE help!

Thanks!

1992 SVX LSL "Serenity" 250,000 miles!

I don't care, I'm still free, You can't take the sky from me...
Old 03-02-2006, 08:48 AM
sans SVX

Send a message via AIM to mbtoloczko
Troy,

Its pretty darn easy to do the belts. All that's needed are metric wrenches. I'd give a quick how-to, bu I can't remember exactly how to do it, and I'm not near my car.

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.
Old 03-02-2006, 12:38 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
You can drive for at least an hour without an alternator...I did so when I shredded my belt from a worn bearing.
Old 03-02-2006, 01:56 PM

I changed both belts about a year ago. As I recall, there's one belt for the power steering and alternator. There's another belt that just runs the AC. I bought them both in stock at the Napa store. No ordering.
Old 03-02-2006, 08:44 PM
$13000 and counting...

Send a message via AIM to Crusader Send a message via MSN to Crusader Send a message via Yahoo to Crusader
I just did this on mine when changing the crank pulley...
One belt fror PS pump and Alt., Another belt for the A/C compressor.

1) Take off the guard over the top of the belt (A/C compressor, PS pump, Alt.). It has two 11mm bolts holding it down.

2) Put a 12 mm socket on the front of the tensioner pulley to loosen it, but don't remove the bolt.

3) Use a 12 mm socket to loosen the tensioner bolt (the one running perpendicular to the one you just loosened in front of the pulley) until you can get enough slack in the belt to get it off of the pulleys. You may have to physically push the tensioner pulley to the right before you can do this.

4) Remove old belt, replace with new one, and reverse the steps to remove the belt to put the new one on.

That's it, pretty simple repair

Can also elaborate on the A/C belt if you want to replace that one too.
Old 03-03-2006, 07:11 AM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Make sure everything spins smooth and quiet with the belts off or you'll be changing the belts again sooner than you think.
Old 03-03-2006, 05:38 PM
Was MacGyver

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusader
Can also elaborate on the A/C belt if you want to replace that one too.
By all means, if you don't mind. Figured I'd just do both at the same time since price on the parts is negligible.

Good advice on making sure everything runs smooth, too, David. So you just turn the engine on with the belts off to see if there is any noise or wobble?

1992 SVX LSL "Serenity" 250,000 miles!

I don't care, I'm still free, You can't take the sky from me...