Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Wanted or For Sale > SVX's and SVX Parts For Sale > SVX Cars For Sale
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-10-2010, 08:41 PM

'92 Teal is for sale here first

Location of the SVX: Ann Arbor, MI

Year: 1992

Model: LS-L

VIN: JF1CX3536NH103094

Manufacture date: 7/91

Paint Color: Teal

Interior Color: Gray leather

Miles: nearly 162K mostly-highway miles

Options: Touring model. It is all stock: leather interior, climate control, single-CD player, FM/AM tuner, cassette player, 8-way power driver’s seat, power heated mirrors, fully manually-adjustable steering wheel, external temp gauge, auto headlights, folding rear-seat back, power sunroof, etc.

AWD or FWD: AWD

Modifications: None, although I use a stack of cassette cases in the console storage to buttress my coffee

Major service: I think only rear bearings about 10-20K ago. Full exhaust system was installed at about 70K and is still strong.

Engine Condition: Excellent, although the check engine light has come on periodically for many years: nearly always, and nearly exclusively, after a short stop. I don’t recall what the mechanic has said, but it’s been some kind of “don’t worry” –so I don’t. It does seem to come on more frequently nowadays, but still after short stops, and I have learned to turn it off by turning the key to accessories about 5-6 times and then starting it. The light goes off and stays off. The engine starts first time, every time, and idles smoothly always. The oil level shows at or near the top, and fairly clean, prior to each oil change, including yesterday’s change. Premium gas always and I get 27 mpg on the road.

Maintenance Records: Most available, since new. Very little repair required, fortunately. Documented 3K-mile oil & filter change at dealers or oil service shops. Sorry synth and fancy-filter fans: conventional oils and filters always used.

Transmission condition: original transmission, excellent. Never used manual, never raced, always driven fast. Smooth shifts, up and down.

Glass condition: A new Subaru-supplied windshield has just been installed. There are some vertical scratches on driver's door that can be seen in a certain light; see the close-up photo of this.

Type of tire and remaining tread: Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S, 225 50R; very good tread left. See close-up photos.

Type of wheels: original 16"; see photos for condition of all four.

Interior condition: Driver’s seat, door side is worn and there’s a 4 to 5-inch unseam or unglue or un-something at the top. The seat itself is fine. Rear ashtray cover snapped off. The passenger door speaker rattles or something in my really high volume moments. There is a one-inch loose stitch or thread hanging from a seam on the steering wheel. The original driver’s side carpet mat is worn, but all carpeting underneath -front and back- is like new. The interior is excellent otherwise and I believe everything but the backlight on the radio works as new. See photos for all of this.

Body condition: Fair. There’s some under-paint rust on hood surface only and some surface rust on a couple of hood and top chips or dings. There’s no visible rust on fenders, jambs or anywhere else. There’s also a 6-8-inch blob-shape clearcoat peel-off or something on the spoiler. It just looks like a dull teal there, but it is totally clean. See close-up photo of this. Otherwise, paint chips in front, top and passenger door in particular. Except for the hood, the car still looks very nice because the paint still shines nicely. The car was garaged for about 14 of its 18 years, including the last 6. Even during those four years, it was mostly always shaded. Only accident was about a year ago when a young lady on her phone -of course- moved into my lane on the Kennedy in Chicago. It was mostly just a paint-damage “kiss” on the rear left fender and it was promptly repaired at Ross-Beakes Collision in Ann Arbor. It looks like new, and testament to the overall paint is that the newly-painted area blended perfectly. A new chip-shield was also installed. In summary, it looks nice, but it does need a make-over and it will definitely be worth doing if I wind up keeping the Green Machine. See close-up photos.

Known defects or problems: None serious. Backlight on radio has been out forever and I can’t tell what station is tuned at night. With presets and a cassette adapter for my music player, I rarely think of it and never miss the backlight. I replaced the first bulb on this car at about 150K –a DS headlight, and a second at about 155K –a DS rear turn-signal light. The dome light just went out and I have to check what it is. I’ve also had to replace the power antenna masts 4 or 5 times, and since the last one or two, I get a click-click-click (or clack-clack-clack) when it goes on and off, but the antenna rises and retracts completely. The trunk lid shocks haven’t worked since the Age of Aquarius, and the hood ones can no longer be trusted: the hood stays up for several minutes and then slooowly, but surely, begins to drop. The trunk remote stopped working this spring or summer, so I have to use the key to open. The sunroof usually requires a nudge to open, but opens smoothly and unfailingly. One-handedly, in sequence, I hit the open button, nudge (no more) the top, and hit the button to open it. Closing is smooth and tight. I have documentation that the issue dates to 24K miles. Otherwise, all else functions pretty much as ever.

Comments about the car: It still drives like the great car that it is. You could drive it back to Fairbanks, AK or wherever you like. I’ve been a registered lurker-only for years, and I’ve learned a lot here. So, I’d like to start out by thanking all of you who have contributed over the years. I’ve always thought that when the day came, I’d post availability here first, and I will signal when I go with the next options.
I am the second owner of this SVX. I purchased it from the original owners in suburban Chicago (I still have a picture in my SVX folder of the woman owner sitting in the car when new) in 1998, with 55,800 miles. Adult, non-smoker drivers and passengers always. No pets ever, in case anyone has an alergy. The new owner will have the original, like-new “Your New Look Subaru: 1992 Owners (sic) Manual”, in its leather binder; two remote openers, although one’s battery is out; and all original keys. I have some original paperwork, including a dealer brochure of SVX road tests or reviews of the time. The original spare is in the trunk, perhaps where Fuji put it. There is documentation that the car was maintained at Ann Arbor Subaru from when I moved here in 2000, until the dealer was sold to a Toyota place. I went with a local mechanic people recommended for a year or two, and then I learned the guy I knew who ran the Subaru service department had opened his own place. The car has been maintained at his Convenience Auto Service shop on Liberty Street for about 4 or 5 years. I believe it’s the best shop in Ann Arbor, and I also take my Isuzu Trooper there. (Also for sale; and, yes, I do seem attracted to great discontinued vehicles.) Convenience Auto did my bearings work a few years ago, and the last work it needed was a Freon fill a few weeks ago. I can’t claim that the car has had outstanding maintenance, but it truly hasn't needed much. I can say that I’ve done the oil changes religiously and I take care of any problems right away at quality places with qualified expert and master mechanics. Fortunately, again, this SVX has been mostly problem-free. Except for the hood, the car still looks very nice as you can see in the photos. An Interstate MTP-24 battery, a new Subaru-issued widshield, and a new driver’s side visor were installed by Maynard Battery, Henderson Glass, and Convenience Auto, respectively, in the past year.

Anyone interested or any questions? Thanks for reading and enjoy the pics!

Asking price: $1992 or best offer (Nov 2, 2010)

Pictures: (External links are OK) see 36 pics at: http://cid-aa3387189766dea2.photos.l...0August%202010

Last edited by Rodolfo; 11-02-2010 at 01:39 PM.
Old 08-12-2010, 07:16 PM

Re: '92 Teal is for sale here first

I just spent a long time editing the above, and at the end, it told me I did not have permission. I've re-edited it some, and I'll take more time later. Please see 40 pics at http://cid-aa3387189766dea2.photos.l...0August%202010

Last edited by Rodolfo; 08-19-2010 at 12:00 PM.
Old 08-12-2010, 08:37 PM
Happy SVX
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

I love the antique cell phone. That takes me back. Oh the car is nice too!
1992 SVX LSL 5-Speed Sold at 180K 2019
1995 SVX Lsi Polo Sold at 118K 2007
Old 08-15-2010, 09:54 AM

Thank you, Sean. The phone will still power-on, although I don't have a Cellular One account any more. I've thought of seeing if there is any way of using the wiring, including for the microphone next to my new visor, for a bluetooth or other hook-up of my Sprint phone.
Old 08-16-2010, 06:28 PM

Well, the response is underwhelming. I have edited some things in the above including adding specifics on tires and the new battery, the price now reads or best offer, and I reduced the number of photos to 40 because I was getting too many "what's thats?" and ho-hums from friends and relatives, and I guess I didn't need close-ups of the retracted antenna and the hanging stitch on the steering wheel.

Also, my glass place was not able to locate a windshield through PPG and their usual channels and is now checking with dealers; so I also qualified the windshield language above.

I plan to start advertising to civilians this week.

Last edited by Rodolfo; 09-01-2010 at 12:39 PM.
Old 08-16-2010, 09:26 PM

Registered SVX

I hope your guys can source you a windshield, they are ungodly expensive new.
65001PA300 - Glass front window assembly blue = $1,027.26 + $125 shipping. (subaruparts.com)
...it will be a pain to register it with a cracked windshield in any state that does inspection.

Bump & GL with sale.
Old 08-16-2010, 09:45 PM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookin4SVX View Post
I hope your guys can source you a windshield, they are ungodly expensive new.
65001PA300 - Glass front window assembly blue = $1,027.26 + $125 shipping. (subaruparts.com)
...it will be a pain to register it with a cracked windshield in any state that does inspection.

Bump & GL with sale.
There are actually only bronze tinted windshields left from Subaru and somewhere around 20 left in the world with no more being produced. There is a Chinese company who makes them but without the titanium oxide coating and they also don't come with new molding so you would need to have the old windshield carefully removed to preserve that molding. You can get them in any of the 3 tint colors and I've heard they sell for around $350.

Also, don't be surprised about the response. There are a lot of these for sale in varying condition. They aren't moving quickly at all and that's even an understatement...
Old 08-17-2010, 09:31 AM

Lookin4SVX - I guess you're no longer lookin... Thanks; fortunately, my insurance is picking up all but $200, but I hope they got a better price than that. Thanks for the bump!

1986nate - Thank you as well. I just called the glassguy and he says they found a blue one one yesterday through a dealer in the area that should arrive "in 2 or 3 days". I think I read on another thread here that there were only blue ones left; maybe there are only 19 left of either. Or maybe Subaru finally discovered that Chinese supplier. Two or three days -if it proves true- would mean there's a US inventory somewhere.

They're coming to install a bronze one on my Trooper this afternoon and hopefully I'll have a nice blue one on my SVX shortly.
Old 08-17-2010, 12:27 PM
Betcha can't buy just one!
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to ensteele Send a message via Yahoo to ensteele Send a message via Skype™ to ensteele
Registered SVX Classic SVX

Even though OEM glass is almost gone, there are windshields out of China that seem to be a good replacement.

Subaru Ambassador

[COLOR=”silver”]1992 Tri Color L[/COLOR] ~45K (06/91) #2430
1992 Dark Teal LS-L ~184K (05/91) #0739
1992 Claret LS-L ~196K (05/91) #0831
1992 Pearl LS-L ~103K (06/91) #1680
1992 Pearl LS-L ~151K (06/91) #2229
1992 Dark Teal LS ~150K (07/91) #3098 (parts car)
1992 White LS-L ~139K (08/92) #6913
1993 25th AE ~98K (02/93) #164
1993 25th AE ~58K (02/93) #176
1993 25th AE ~107K (02/93) #215
1993 25th AE ~162K (02/93) #223
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~124K (1/94) #2408
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~144K (10/93) #1484
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~68K (10/93) #1525
1994 Barcelona Red LSi ~46K (02/94) #2624
1994 Pearl LSi ~41K (12/93) #1961
1995 Bordeaux Pearl LSi ~70K (02/95) #855
1996 Polo Green LSi ~95K (03/96) #872
1997 Bordeaux Pearl LSi ~55K (08/96) #097
2003 Brilliant Red LS1 Convertible ~29K (04/03) #8951
1999 Magnetic Red LS1 Coupe ~33K (04/99) #6420

My Email | Old Locker | New Locker | Picture of 15 of the 19
Old 08-17-2010, 12:33 PM
15th time is a charm?

Registered SVX

The SVX windshield, OEM/Subaru is ONLY available Green/Blue. I work in the glass industry and had mine replaced recently.

GLWS, you don't see many Teals in decent shape anymore. Are there any other rusty areas besides the front of the hood?

Right now, the SVX is not selling well at all.
Old 08-18-2010, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ensteele View Post
Even though OEM glass is almost gone, there are windshields out of China that seem to be a good replacement.
That's how they've become the second-largest economy -and counting down, or up.
Old 08-18-2010, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike621 View Post
The SVX windshield, OEM/Subaru is ONLY available Green/Blue. I work in the glass industry and had mine replaced recently.

GLWS, you don't see many Teals in decent shape anymore. Are there any other rusty areas besides the front of the hood?

Right now, the SVX is not selling well at all.
Thank you, Mike. No: the only other rust spots are a 3 spots from chips on the top -the "large" one is about .25 inch/.6 cm.; the small one is a tiny rust smudge on the sunroof. I can add photos of these. I think having a Trooper to get through winter snow since 2000-01 has helped keep the SVX as clean as it is, and with both vehicles, I try to avoid the city's 8 salt routes.
Old 08-20-2010, 09:54 AM

Eureka! The windshield is in and will be installed on Tuesday.
Old 08-23-2010, 04:09 PM

I have sold Silverstreak, my 2000 Isuzu Trooper LS, to a friend's son in Chicago, and he's flying in tomorrow to pick it up. This means my driveway will be clear and I no longer feel the urgency to sell my SVX, although it is still for sale here for the same terms, and the photos will still be posted at the link provided. I just may not be bumping this thread as much. I have removed the tacky For Sale signs, although I may still run an autotrader ad. It's interesting that the signs on the Trooper did not bother me as they did everyone else, but I did NOT like them on the SVX.
Old 08-25-2010, 10:03 AM

My SVX has a new blue windshield, supplied by Subaru and installed by Henderson Glass. I have edited the original post and gallery accordingly.