Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-24-2007, 08:53 PM

Transmission Questions... Need Help

I was reading the "Tranny Issues... Please Help" thread and I am having a very similar problem with the transmission and I was wondering if I could get some expert advice from you guys.

I have a '92 SVX and it has always worked good for me. A couple of months ago it started having a shifting problem. It doesn't slip it just doesn't seem to change at the right time as far as second gear is concerned. Sometimes it will get to over 4rpms before it will change to second and sometimes it will change out of second back into first when you slow down. It seems to do this mostly when accelerating downhill when it doesn't need much power. I also must mention that it never has a sifting problem when traveling uphill. It also works perfectly in all gears if you hit the manual switch and manually change the gears. I need to mention again that the tranny does not slip, it only changes in and out of second gear at inappropriate times so I'm hoping that it is something simple. Now let me decribe the original problem which may have led up to this.

Me and my dad have installed an additional transmission filter and a cooler and have taken good care of it. A few months ago the main seal popped off the front of the transmission and fluid would pour out when it was cranked. We had the transmission taken out and the seal replaced and it has had this shifting problem since then.

On the other thread I read earlier, you guys mentioned a brake band adjustment and the range selector mechanism. My question is, would any of these adjustments affect, help, or solve the problem I am having? How would I go about checking these out and is there any type of online guide as to their adjustment?

Thanks for any help,
Johnathon