SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-11-2006, 07:14 AM
Back Road Blazer

Send a message via AIM to black beast
Question Help me out guys, this will be cool

Heres what I want to do... Put in Higher compression pistons, valves, and HIGH revving springs. Cam gears (think HKS, not cheap like AEM) and the Cam shafts that someone is selling (I don't remember who, sry).
Now the questions, What is the stock comppression fro the SVX, do you guys know of any cars that have similar Cam gears that will work, the pistons valves and spings I have a bid for 3000 to custom do for me, but that willbe in 2 years. The Cam stuff will be in a year. Sry I like to plan and set up build trees.
'94 ebony pearl, with orange "silicone" hoses, painted beauty cover, Tom's Intake, Dayles Cold air intake; with HKS mega suction foam air filter, 3in header back exhaust, STI ground wires, euro front fascia, euro front grill, reactive 17in wheels, Nitto Invo's, Drilled and slotted rotors, stainless break lines, Koni strut inserts, Drop springs, 5MT, shotshifter, Clutchmasters clutch, ACT prolite flywheel, EL Glow gauges, The ECUTune stage 2. To Do: Cams, port and polish, etc.
Old 06-11-2006, 07:40 AM

Send a message via AIM to Suby Fan Send a message via MSN to Suby Fan Send a message via Yahoo to Suby Fan
well other then the fact that it would be all custom if you did that... the SVX already is a high compression engine (10:1 right?) bumping that up would mean that you would need to run race gas in it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by black beast
Heres what I want to do... Put in Higher compression pistons, valves, and HIGH revving springs. Cam gears (think HKS, not cheap like AEM) and the Cam shafts that someone is selling (I don't remember who, sry).
Now the questions, What is the stock comppression fro the SVX, do you guys know of any cars that have similar Cam gears that will work, the pistons valves and spings I have a bid for 3000 to custom do for me, but that willbe in 2 years. The Cam stuff will be in a year. Sry I like to plan and set up build trees.
need work done? Have tools will travel
Old 06-11-2006, 09:10 AM
6MT STi-ified, now with R180!

Send a message via ICQ to Nemesis Destiny Send a message via MSN to Nemesis Destiny
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suby Fan
well other then the fact that it would be all custom if you did that... the SVX already is a high compression engine (10:1 right?) bumping that up would mean that you would need to run race gas in it.
Yes, stock compression is 10.0:1, but there are other cars that run higher comp on street gas. I believe the Honda S2000, for example, runs 11.5:1 compression on premium gas.

And take LAN's supercharger kit as another example; it force feeds the EG33 with up to something like 12 pounds of boost, and boost is basically the same as artificially raising compression. The s/c kit still runs on pump premium if I'm not mistaken.

So I figure it would be completely possible to run custom high comp pistons in the SVX, provided you have better engine management, either via a LAN Stage 2 ECU + Z32 MAF, or something else similar.
1992 LS-L Touring, Liquid Silver w/ Black, 110k mi. "Alice." Rebuilt title. Mods: WRX 6-CD changer, 17x8" Motegi LC-12 (16.5lbs), PWR rad, Perrin LCP, JDM v.8 6MT + R180, Koni + Ground Control (325f/280r), Earthworm Bushings. Awaiting resto.
1994 LSI The legendary "Shotgun Slade" 110k mi and still going strong!

2005 Outback XT Limited 5MT, Obsidian Black Pearl, 211k km, daily driver.
1999 Mazda MX5 base 5MT, Twilight Blue Metallic, 152k km. "Twilight Sparkle" Summer daily driver!
2007 Honda CR-V, some awful shade of light green *yawn*

1992 LS-L Touring, Ebony Mica, 176k kms. Parts car. SCRAPPED.
1992 LS-L, Dark Teal, 367k km. "Wintergreen" the winter beater.*SCRAPPED due to rust*
Old 06-11-2006, 03:40 PM
Back Road Blazer

Thanks so far, next....

Ok that solves comp. What about the Cam gears deal, anyone know?
'94 ebony pearl, with orange "silicone" hoses, painted beauty cover, Tom's Intake, Dayles Cold air intake; with HKS mega suction foam air filter, 3in header back exhaust, STI ground wires, euro front fascia, euro front grill, reactive 17in wheels, Nitto Invo's, Drilled and slotted rotors, stainless break lines, Koni strut inserts, Drop springs, 5MT, shotshifter, Clutchmasters clutch, ACT prolite flywheel, EL Glow gauges, The ECUTune stage 2. To Do: Cams, port and polish, etc.
Old 06-11-2006, 04:27 PM

Send a message via AIM to Suby Fan Send a message via MSN to Suby Fan Send a message via Yahoo to Suby Fan
talk to TomsSVX he has done alot of really soild cam work for N/A engines i forget the actual specs but they are in this forum somewhere
need work done? Have tools will travel
Old 06-11-2006, 09:02 PM
6MT STi-ified, now with R180!

Send a message via ICQ to Nemesis Destiny Send a message via MSN to Nemesis Destiny
Cams thread

There was recently a pretty involved discussion about doing up some cams for the EG33, found here.
1992 LS-L Touring, Liquid Silver w/ Black, 110k mi. "Alice." Rebuilt title. Mods: WRX 6-CD changer, 17x8" Motegi LC-12 (16.5lbs), PWR rad, Perrin LCP, JDM v.8 6MT + R180, Koni + Ground Control (325f/280r), Earthworm Bushings. Awaiting resto.
1994 LSI The legendary "Shotgun Slade" 110k mi and still going strong!

2005 Outback XT Limited 5MT, Obsidian Black Pearl, 211k km, daily driver.
1999 Mazda MX5 base 5MT, Twilight Blue Metallic, 152k km. "Twilight Sparkle" Summer daily driver!
2007 Honda CR-V, some awful shade of light green *yawn*

1992 LS-L Touring, Ebony Mica, 176k kms. Parts car. SCRAPPED.
1992 LS-L, Dark Teal, 367k km. "Wintergreen" the winter beater.*SCRAPPED due to rust*
Old 06-12-2006, 08:06 AM
Back Road Blazer

Cam Gears...

Ya, but that is about cam shafts, Tom can get cam shafts I want to know about cam gears
Old 06-12-2006, 05:14 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by black beast
Ya, but that is about cam shafts, Tom can get cam shafts I want to know about cam gears

What do you want to know about them?

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 06-14-2006, 03:49 PM
Back Road Blazer

Where I can get them, sry guys, but unlike you I have a while to do this before I grow old and die. I will be the most powerful N/A SVX in the world!
I have the time, I'm 19, and money, remember teenagers have the most disposable income?, So I will have the highest HP for the SVX in the world!
Mua hahahahahahaha!

Sorry I get excited some times.
Old 06-14-2006, 05:44 PM
Fighting with electricity

Send a message via AIM to SVX10 Send a message via Yahoo to SVX10
I'm surprised nobody has said it yet, but I don't think there are any aftermarket cam gears for the SVX. If you want 'em, you'll be designing them or sourcing somebody that can design them for you. I don't know of any cars that share the same cam gear...I suppose the 90's legacy turbo is the best bet as it seems to be the most similar to our H6.

What are you looking for in your cam gears? I think if you're gonna do it, you should get somebody to do a set that can electronically change to predefined positions based on engine RPM You said money wasn't a problem, so get to it!!!
92 SVX LS-L - Ebony Pearl - 2002 WRX 5MT trans w/STi gearset (rebuilt & installed myself ) - BMW E46 HID retrofit - Kenwood Headunit - Phoenix Gold 75x4 RMS amp - Alpine Type R 6.5" front components - Alpine Type R 6x9 3way rear speakers - 18"x9" Rota G-Force wheels w/225/40ZR18 Toyo T1R's - Mychailo's custom springs - Urethane front & rear sway bar bushings - KC exhaust (2.5" dual magnaflow) - Escaine seat swap - Removed Spoiler

I don't care if Subaru says it's STI...it will always be STi to me
Old 06-15-2006, 09:02 AM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
OK... I told you in a PM but so everyone else knows I will lay it out here. Cma gears for an SVX are impossible... well almost impossible so I will say improbible. Adjustable cam gears run on the idea that they can be changed independantly from the exhaust cams to suit a certain RPM to make power. The SVX DOES NOT HAVE INDEPENDENT GEARS ON THE TIMING BELT! They are scissor gears and the exhaust and intake cams run together off one sprocket on the timing belt. This means that the intake spins in an opposite direction than the exhaust cams. The only way to adjust them is in ~7.2* increments by removing the cam and adjusting it by one tooth. So, in short the goal is to have camshafts made to suit your specific RPM needs and get it right the first time. That is why there is such heavy discussion about what cam profle to use and what lobe center you want to use. Sorry but before you even think about modding your car I suggest you do one/both of two things. Study hard the construction of the EG33 and realize how it works and why it works. OR tear it down and take not of how it is put together and why it is that way.

Next, Higher compression won't yeild the gain you are expecting. I know a guy running 12.5:1 compression on an LS1 motor and still cannot get it right. With this kind of setup it will take intense tuning to get a gain and it will still be mild. If you are keeping the car N/A I would suggest you first invest in a 5/6mt swap as it is the largest bang for your buck outside of nitrous. It will drop your 1/4mile time by a second or more if you are a good driver. The lowered loss of power through the standard transmission is your first start.

Common practices of gaining power in engines cannot always be applied to our application due to lack of R&D. It costs serious $ and don't act like $ doesn't matter, it matters to all of us. There is a paved road to more power that I along with several others have laid the asphalt. It is not as spectacular a gain as LAN is comming up with but it is cheaper in that aspect. You could drown $10k+ into your EG33 and only see 300 CHP which will translate to less than 200 at the wheels or you could do it the way we have been and spend around 4-5k and get close to that. Just research your info and make the decision for yourself, you are not going to find all of the answers laid out for you here as I and several others have found, trial and error is yopur friend

Tom
Old 06-15-2006, 09:58 AM
Fighting with electricity

Send a message via AIM to SVX10 Send a message via Yahoo to SVX10
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsSVX
This means that the intake spins in an opposite direction than the exhaust cams.
Ahhh, yes. I forgot about that little bit of info. I SUPPOSE that could be a problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsSVX
Sorry but before you even think about modding your car I suggest you do one/both of two things. Study hard the construction of the EG33 and realize how it works and why it works. OR tear it down and take not of how it is put together and why it is that way.
Amen, brutha! (My EG33 teardown should begin soon. mwahahahaha)
92 SVX LS-L - Ebony Pearl - 2002 WRX 5MT trans w/STi gearset (rebuilt & installed myself ) - BMW E46 HID retrofit - Kenwood Headunit - Phoenix Gold 75x4 RMS amp - Alpine Type R 6.5" front components - Alpine Type R 6x9 3way rear speakers - 18"x9" Rota G-Force wheels w/225/40ZR18 Toyo T1R's - Mychailo's custom springs - Urethane front & rear sway bar bushings - KC exhaust (2.5" dual magnaflow) - Escaine seat swap - Removed Spoiler

I don't care if Subaru says it's STI...it will always be STi to me