IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-13-2004, 10:40 PM
No longer blue member

Send a message via AIM to SubaSteevo
ECU Stage I Question

http://www.ecutune.com/images/HPplots.gif

Can you explain why at approximately 3500 RPM there are TWO power level readings (one is approximately 100hp, the other is approx 80hp, forming a Z shape in the graph)? It is impossible to have two different readings at the same RPM.

Member #895(the member formerly known as BurgundyBeast)
01' MSM Lexus IS300
Old 06-13-2004, 11:17 PM
Hater

Re: ECU Stage I Question

Quote:
Originally posted by BurgundyBeast

Can you explain why at approximately 3500 RPM there are TWO power level readings (one is approximately 100hp, the other is approx 80hp, forming a Z shape in the graph)? It is impossible to have two different readings at the same RPM.
that's where the flux capacitor kicks in and bends space and time!

that is strange, though.

1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 06-13-2004, 11:34 PM
halfsharkalligatorhalfman

I was wondering the same thing. seems to me like the only way that could happen is if they let off the throttle for a moment. I'm not sure though. I'd really like to hear more feedback from people who have already purchased stage one before I decide if I want to order one. So if you have one, let us know how you like it.
-Evan
Old 06-14-2004, 12:05 AM
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOST

Send a message via AIM to Phast SVX
its the transmission kicking into gear. better yet think of it this way. Your cruising along at 25ish, (just enough to get into first gear) then hit it into power mode. what does the car do. Pauses for a second after you floor it and kicks into first gear. thats what your looking at. When the rpm reading is sparatic(as in shifting to a differnt gear fast) the dyno cant fully register it, and you will get funky looking pattersn while the car is shifting. In other words, start looking where it locks into a nice pattern. this is normal for an auto dyno plot.
phil

Last edited by Phast SVX; 06-14-2004 at 12:07 AM.
Old 06-14-2004, 08:20 AM
0h n0es!

Send a message via ICQ to IggDawg Send a message via AIM to IggDawg
I'm willing to bet that is an "artist's rendition" of what the dyno plot would look like. the reason I say this is because when asked for dyno plots, he said he wouldn't be providing any till some people bought the chip. I could be wrong on this, but I was under the impression that those were only "relativistic representations" of what the new curve would be.

-IggDawg

1992 Teal SVX LS-L 160k miles
4.11:1 final drive, K&B dropsprings, ART front rotors, stainless steel brake, aluminum underdrive crank pulley, Kuhmo Ecsta Supra 712's, K&N drop-in filter. Previously owned by Alacrity024. FOR SALE

1994 SVX LSi, Barcelona Red #1659, build date 11/93, 117k miles, RIP
ECUtune stage 1, bead crush, smallcar shift kit, TB bypass, SS brake lines, silencer removed, alternator and grounding wires, Mobil1 @ 117k
Old 06-14-2004, 09:19 AM
Just some dude.

Significant Technical Input
Quote:
Originally posted by IggDawg
I'm willing to bet that is an "artist's rendition" of what the dyno plot would look like. the reason I say this is because when asked for dyno plots, he said he wouldn't be providing any till some people bought the chip. I could be wrong on this, but I was under the impression that those were only "relativistic representations" of what the new curve would be.
That's completely not true. I should probably wait and let one of the people who were reading the original thread set you straight on this but oh well...can't do it...I was shocked to see this thread and find such an outlandish accusation. The stage 1 code was tuned on the dynapack dyno at mastro subaru. The original scans of the dyno plots are posted in the 37 page thread in which we shared the majority of the development process with the community here. If you read that thread you will also understand that the rpm scale in the original prints from the dyno is based on the final drive ratio while in 4th gear and therefore is correct in the 4th gear section and off by an exact ratio in the 3rd gear section and just plain off in every way during the shift itself. We therefore took the original dyno plots and recalculated the rpm legend for the 3rd gear section, greyed out the during shift period, and overlayed all three plots on each other so that the scale #'s correctly matched up so there was no cheating for an accurate comparison.

Now, the 87 octane version of the code which we are currently putting in the second program location on the stage 1 chips was not developped on the dyno. It's a work in progress which we are providing now at no additional cost above what we were selling stage 1 without the 87 octane code included. Since it was not tuned on the dyno there is obviously no dyno plot and it is not shown on hp comparison graph on our website. That's the dyno plot I told you would not be available until after enough people purchased the chip to fund and justify further development for the svx.

I've developed our chip for the svx based on the requests of the members of this forum. Members expressed an interest in nitrous control.....I went back to the drawing board and spent months giving it to them....and shared photos and information on the process as I did. Members with manual transmissions asked for the rpm limit to be raised.........I sat down and a day later raised it for them. Members asked me to try tuning for 87 octane...I started tuning for 87 octane.

I've given everybody everything they have asked for at a cost of tens of thousands of dollars and I'd hate to calculate how many hours of my time thus far. And I've developed the technology that opens the doors for genuine performance improvement for the svx; do you not understand the power of being able to reprogram the ecu? For someone to be so enstaunched as a skeptic to say something that would make newbies think that anything our company has done is bs is just irresponsible and inexplicable.
Old 06-14-2004, 09:31 AM
Just some dude.

Re: ECU Stage I Question

Quote:
Originally posted by BurgundyBeast

You are right; it is impossible to have two different hp values at the same rpm/time. It would be a lot easier to explain it to you if I was in front of you with a pen but lets give it a shot. A line graph is actually a plot of points through which a line is then drawn. Try drawing some dots representing an area where something funky happens like that. Then try drwaing a line. It either comes out like you see it there or as a solid block. Like picture if it's 80 hp at 3500, 100 hp at 3501, 81 at 3502, etc. If you plot that correctly you will get a solid rectangle. Basically when things get squirly the computer will do the best it can to draw a line between the dots but don't expect it to be dead on right. It just means there are some dots around there.
Old 06-14-2004, 09:35 AM
tancred

tancred made his own artist rendition..

you guys are all lamers. My dyno plot owns you all...Right michael, this is the real dyno plot??

If you dont understand how a dyno works then dont ask stupid questions...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hpplots.jpg (32.5 KB, 166 views)
Old 06-14-2004, 09:43 AM
Row faster...I hear banjos!!!!

Re: tancred made his own artist rendition..

You always have a way with words Dustin!

-Chike

P.S. Your box in full...
Quote:
Originally posted by tancred
you guys are all lamers. My dyno plot owns you all...Right michael, this is the real dyno plot??

If you dont understand how a dyno works then dont ask stupid questions...

2013 Cosmic Blue 5spd Evo X GSR
2006 Galaxy Gray 6MT RX-8 (sold)
2006 Steel Gray WRX TR (sold)
1996 Brilliant Red SVX L (sold)
Old 06-14-2004, 09:48 AM
0h n0es!

Michael - I'm not at all skeptical of your chip. I purchased one and just tossed it in my car about 15 minutes ago actually. I have yet to drive on it. just waiting for a lunch break. I was confused by one of your comments in an earlier thread where you said something to the effect of that you didn't want to provide any dynos till you got a few chip sales. In fact, looking back at previous threads, I think I confused what you were saying about the 87 map and the stage 1 map. I totally apoligize if I sounded like a naysayer, because that's certainly not the case. If that was the case, I wouldn't have your chip in my car . In my industry we often provide "representative data" when the original data isn't available for one reason or another. That's what I thought was going on. totally my bad.

I respect what a headache product development and dealing with customers can be. I'm good friends with the guy that was doing the "boostmonkey" thing for WRXs, so I know (albeit second hand) what a hassle everything can be. So far the reviews of your chip that I've seen have been stellar. I'm sure in a day or 2 when I get some miles into my ECU's memory, I'll have another one for you.

-IggDawg

4.11:1 final drive, K&B dropsprings, ART front rotors, stainless steel brake, aluminum underdrive crank pulley, Kuhmo Ecsta Supra 712's, K&N drop-in filter. Previously owned by Alacrity024. FOR SALE

ECUtune stage 1, bead crush, smallcar shift kit, TB bypass, SS brake lines, silencer removed, alternator and grounding wires, Mobil1 @ 117k
Old 06-14-2004, 10:07 AM
tancred

Re: Re: tancred made his own artist rendition..

Quote:
Originally posted by Chiketkd
You always have a way with words Dustin!

-Chike

P.S. Your box in full...
Chike thanks for caring..about my box..

lol, it gets so full with all my hate mail..
Old 06-14-2004, 10:11 AM
Just some dude.

Quote:
Originally posted by IggDawg
Michael - I'm not at all skeptical of your chip. I purchased one and just tossed it in my car about 15 minutes ago actually. I have yet to drive on it. just waiting for a lunch break. I was confused by one of your comments in an earlier thread where you said something to the effect of that you didn't want to provide any dynos till you got a few chip sales. In fact, looking back at previous threads, I think I confused what you were saying about the 87 map and the stage 1 map. I totally apoligize if I sounded like a naysayer, because that's certainly not the case. If that was the case, I wouldn't have your chip in my car . In my industry we often provide "representative data" when the original data isn't available for one reason or another. That's what I thought was going on. totally my bad.

I respect what a headache product development and dealing with customers can be. I'm good friends with the guy that was doing the "boostmonkey" thing for WRXs, so I know (albeit second hand) what a hassle everything can be. So far the reviews of your chip that I've seen have been stellar. I'm sure in a day or 2 when I get some miles into my ECU's memory, I'll have another one for you.
Sorry for jumping on your case.
Old 06-14-2004, 11:36 AM
0h n0es!

Sorry to give you a case worth jumping on .

in any event, I just took a short spin with the chip in. oh my torque. This thing makes my low end crazy. it's like someone lifted a couple hundred pounds out of my car . I'll put a review in the other thread when I get home from my commute today, but I have to say this thing is worth every penny so far as I can tell. damn fine job, man.

and props for using the pink bubble wrap. not many people would know to do that .

-IggDawg

Old 06-14-2004, 12:45 PM
Hater

ohhhh.....me want! i hope your able to do the OBDII version!

1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 06-14-2004, 01:32 PM
halfsharkalligatorhalfman

"post by phast svx"

Thanks alot for the clear explaination. I wasnt trying to sound skeptical, just curious. Anyway,, If I keep hearing these great reviews, I will definately be ordering stage one soon!

-Evan