Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Wanted or For Sale > SVX's and SVX Parts For Sale > SVX Cars For Sale
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-13-2011, 07:36 AM

1992 SVX LS-L /w Body Damage & Dead Trans For Sale For Parts [Phoenixville, PA]

Ok folks, it absolutely pains me to do this, but the day has come that I need to list my SVX up here as a parts car. I'll give a brief story of the car to bring everyone up to speed...

Last Winter, the car was the victim of a hit & run in a parking lot outside of Boyertown, PA. Unfortunately, I was only carrying Comprehensive Insurance on the car at the time, and the damage was not covered. The repair estimates clocked in between $2000-$2500, and it was just something I couldn't afford.

However, I love my SVX and didn't want to part ways with it. So, I continued to drive it despite the damage. Then, about a month and a half ago, I was driving to visit a friend when the transmission started slipping out of 4th gear and stalling. I did not have the problem diagnosed professionally by a mechanic or transmission shop. However, I was able to isolate it to the transmission by determining you can put the car in the "3" gear position and it drives fine. So, whatever the exact problem is with the trans, it is related to 4th gear. I didn't pursue a professional diagnosis because this coupled with the body damage put the car in the 'not worth repairing' realm.

This SVX itself previously belonged to Dr. Outback, another member of the SVX World Network. I bought the car from him from the Lancaster area of PA. He provided me an impressive folder of documentation for the car. The previous owners had kept virtually every receipt for every service and repair on the car. I have owned it since ~2006 and maintained the car with virtually no mechanical problems whatsoever; my owner's experience with this car was very uncommon in that regard!

Anyways, some details about the specs of what I've got:
  • 1992 Subaru SVX LS-L Claret AWD
  • 117,700 Miles
  • Manufacture Date 09/91
  • VIN #JF1CX3536NH105265
  • Good Year Assurance Triple Tread Tires (Lots of life left!)
  • Less than 1 Year Old Die Hard Battery

The car has the following mods installed:
  • Race Concepts Drilled/Slotted Rotors
  • Stainless Steel Brake Lines
  • Akebono Ceramic Brake Pads
  • Converted To Synthentic Brake Fluid
  • ECUTune v1.4 ECU Chip
  • Pioneer CD/MP3/Aux Capable Headunit
  • Externally Mounted Transmission Cooler
  • While not exactly a mod, the front headlights were all replaced with brand new GENUINE Subaru Headlight assemblies. So, there is no ugly yellowing anywhere in site with these!
  • Aftermarket "Euro" Style Grille painted to match body color

The obvious immediate problems with the car are the body damage and the transmission failure. About two years ago, I had the valve covers replaced, spark plugs changed, and timing belt replaced. At that time, I was informed the passenger side cam seal was leaking. However, I held off from doing anything about that. So, I know there is still a leak or two from the engine bay.

Here are some pictures of the car. Please note that the white spots on the car are not paint damage. I took these photos right after our freak northeast snow storm and some salt had gotten sprayed on the car.

I hit the 10 photos per post limit, so I will post the remaining photos in a reply below.

So, anyway, that's my SVX and my story. Believe me it absolutely pains me to have to get rid of this car. Given its current state, the car could probably be driven a short distance for the interested buyer. However, the registration and inspection expired in the end of October. So, it might be a bit of a gamble!

Since I live in a town house complex, I don't have the luxury of being able to part the car out myself. So, this car would have to go to an interested buyer who has the ability to come and take the whole car. As I said, with the wonky transmission and expired tags, driving it may not be your best option. I realize this may create some work for any interested buyers. Therefore, I am completely open and willing to negotiate price with any interested parties.

I realize the situation isn't ideal, and neither is the car. So, I am more motivated to just get rid of the car than earning top dollar for it. I will absolutely consider any reasonable offers. And please feel free to contact me with ANY and ALL questions. I'll respond to them as soon as possible. If there are any other photos or angles you'd like to see, let me know. I'll happily post them, too.

-Dan

1996 Subaru SVX LSi (Red)
2019 Subaru WRX LTD
Old 11-13-2011, 07:36 AM

Re: 1992 SVX LS-L /w Body Damage & Dead Trans For Sale For Parts [Phoenixville, PA]

Old 11-13-2011, 07:32 PM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: 1992 SVX LS-L /w Body Damage & Dead Trans For Sale For Parts [Phoenixville, PA]

It was very nice talking to you, Dan.

Hey, guess what everyone???
Old 11-13-2011, 07:39 PM

Registered SVX

Looks more like a fixer uper than a parts car.
4.44 swap and a new 1/4 panel
Old 11-13-2011, 08:11 PM
Happy SVX

Registered SVX

The exhaust looks like it had some custom work too, different tips at least, and I think the car may have been repainted at one time... the lock and tow hooks look like they have some paint on them. I agree with Conn; with the low-ish mileage, it is worth saving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by angrydan View Post
1992 SVX LSL 5-Speed Sold at 180K 2019
1995 SVX Lsi Polo Sold at 118K 2007

Last edited by Sean486; 11-13-2011 at 08:14 PM.
Old 11-13-2011, 08:24 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean486 View Post
The exhaust looks like it had some custom work too, different tips at least, and I think the car may have been repainted at one time... the lock and tow hooks look like they have some paint on them. I agree with Conn; with the low-ish mileage, it is worth saving.
It's me we're talking here. Of course it will be put back on the road
Old 11-14-2011, 06:33 PM

Thanks to everyone for their interest. Nate is the winner and just left with the car. I am beyond thrilled that the car will stay on the road! It would have killed me to see it parted.

1996 Subaru SVX LSi (Red)
2019 Subaru WRX LTD
Old 11-15-2011, 02:24 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by angrydan View Post
Thanks to everyone for their interest. Nate is the winner and just left with the car. I am beyond thrilled that the car will stay on the road! It would have killed me to see it parted.
Get back to Meadville with it just fine. It was nice to meet up and chat a bit. Thankfully no big traffic block ups on the rest of my drive.
Old 11-15-2011, 06:29 AM

Registered SVX

NATE is that a custom Exhaust? Looks like my STEBRO one.
Old 11-15-2011, 07:02 AM
Happy SVX

Registered SVX

Nate,
Did you end up picking up that Silver 5 speed with the bad transmission in Lebanon PA too?
1992 SVX LSL 5-Speed Sold at 180K 2019
1995 SVX Lsi Polo Sold at 118K 2007
Old 11-15-2011, 07:17 AM

Registered SVX

He has it listed in his signature .
Nate how are we doing with the 5 speed swap program . I may have a customer for you. I let a guy drive my Laguna and now he is itchy for a 5speed.
Old 11-15-2011, 11:02 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conn SVX View Post
He has it listed in his signature .
Nate how are we doing with the 5 speed swap program . I may have a customer for you. I let a guy drive my Laguna and now he is itchy for a 5speed.
It's not going to be happening for a bit. I have to get moved in and settled in here in Erie once I move before I'm able to start tackling the swaps. Figure some time after February as I'm moving here in January.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean486 View Post
Nate,
Did you end up picking up that Silver 5 speed with the bad transmission in Lebanon PA too?
Paid for, picking it up tomorrow or Thursday. I've seen it in person and talked with the owner for a few hours the other night actually.

Quote:
NATE is that a custom Exhaust? Looks like my STEBRO one.
Yes, it would be a Stebro.
Old 11-15-2011, 11:28 AM

Registered SVX

That Claret was a sweet car . Worth putting $2,000 into the body . I guess the selling price would dictate good deal or not .
Old 12-06-2011, 07:45 PM
got my SVX 12-8-11

Registered SVX

Quote:
Looks more like a fixer uper than a parts car.
4.44 swap and a new 1/4 panel
i agree, i could fix that damage for less than $1,000
a 4.44 swap or 5 speed is in order.

its a Fixer not a Parts car.
Old 12-06-2011, 10:02 PM

Send a message via AIM to Green1995SVX Send a message via Yahoo to Green1995SVX
Registered SVX Classic SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubaruJawn View Post
i agree, i could fix that damage for less than $1,000
a 4.44 swap or 5 speed is in order.

its a Fixer not a Parts car.
It's a very nice car. It's sitting at my dealership right now. (AKA Nate's storage lot)
2001 Audi S8