How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Wanted or For Sale
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-01-2003, 10:57 AM

Lightbulb Possible new rotor source....

Just a heads up for those looking to replace brake rotors, I found a company in MI that imports Chinese (!!) rotors. I talked to them about a preferential price for those of us here on the Board. First, they will provide info. on the rotors..rear is OEM solid, front may be slotted in addition to OEM ventilated. I was going to get a set and do a bit of QA testing with pre and post test run-out, street style driving with OEM pads and autoX aggressive with Hawk pads, and see how they do, warp and wear wise, in particular, the fronts. If they go for this, I will post the results/impressions of my "unofficial" test and their pricing/contact info. . I gave them iRotors cost for their Bradi discs + shipping as the price to beat. If they test well, they might provide a cheaper alternative for rotor replacement, particularly, if normal street use is your predominant style. Since the rears are less likely to warp, they might, at least, provide a cheaper rear replacement. Will follow up as I get more information.

Craig
Old 05-01-2003, 11:01 AM

...disclaimer for above....

Should have mentioned I have no personal involvement in this brake rotor importer nor will handle possible eventual GROUP discount as a middleman........

Craig
Old 05-02-2003, 06:23 PM
No front plate on My SVX

Send a message via MSN to CDG
Sounds promising, let me know how it goes.
PS my local supplier called around for me about SVX rotors, they said our Irotor list price is still way better, after US exchange, than what they can find.
So, a btter than Irotor deal would be sweet.

Current Ride, 1985 Honda Aero 80, stock 3024 klms
Old 05-02-2003, 10:25 PM
Old Timer (age that is)

Send a message via Yahoo to lhopp77
Registered SVX
Chinese Steel

The Chinese have a notorious problem of getting a constant quaility on their steel products. I might be a little concerned with this unless imported to a US company meeting some identifiable quality standard.

Just my 2 cents.

Old 05-02-2003, 10:53 PM
Green1995SVX

Re: Chinese Steel

Quote:
Originally posted by lhopp77
The Chinese have a notorious problem of getting a constant quaility on their steel products.
That's a pretty broad statement.

Mike
Old 05-02-2003, 11:01 PM
Old Timer (age that is)

Send a message via Yahoo to lhopp77
Registered SVX
Broad?

I stand by what I said. "If it is imported for a known USA company that has specific quality standards that must be consistently met", I would consider it.

Examples of what I am talking about--Chinese tractors--read ratings about them. Or even Chinese weapons--AK47 versus the Russian version. Review many of the Chinese tools imported generically versus those made for specific reputable US companies.

So, I guess I would ask--who is importing them and what is the warranty.

Lee
Old 05-03-2003, 04:53 AM

Quality control re: Chinese product

I, too, had heard some reports concerning the quality of Chinese made products, in my case, re: parts for older Audi's. I expressed my concern to this supplier who has not yet replied with his comments. I also planned to do my own "QA" testing as per my original post on a set of these rotors.

Will follow up with further information as I obtain it....at the least, might have source for cheaper rear rotors and "throw-away" fronts. Or resistance to warpage might be better than anticipated. Agree that iRotor Bradi rotors are good product and price the best found so far.....

Craig
Old 05-07-2003, 09:21 AM

Question Latest on rotor source

To follow up, I will be purchasing a set of these "Chinese" rotors this week.

I plan to do the following: pretest lateral run-out measurement and posttest runout, near new OEM pad (semimetallic) install after I lap them to ensure smoothness. I also have temperature tape to record max range reached. I plan on putting on 125 miles using my usual commute route which involves 36 miles of 2 lane twisty asphalt Blue Ridge-type, 75 miles of 70 mph+ Thruway, and the remainder, 4 lane stop and go City roads. I will check the above figures and then do a 20 mile each way aggressive ride , using a local route up and over Cesar's Head, SC, similar to Deal's Gap, NC, which has warped many a WRX rotor. The results of that to be recorded.

I assume (correctly ?) OEM pads will be harder on these rotors than EBC/Hawk pads which claim to be "easier" on rotors in their ads. SVX used will have Dunlop SP 8000's, stock size, with stock struts and suspension in maintained condition.

While my ersatz QA test may not provide info. on such harsh environments as AutoX, it may give a fair idea on how this product does in normal/aggressive highway driving. I have informed the supplier what pricing he has to beat . He has still to inform me if the front discs come perforated or slotted or both.

Craig
Old 05-09-2003, 11:59 AM
No front plate on My SVX

Perhaps you could ask the supplier if the disks are:
1) Drilled? drilled straight through
2)Cross Drilled? Drilled through on an angle
3)Slotted? a groove half way through the suface construct
4)Dimpled? A drilled hole half way through the construct.

Old 05-09-2003, 01:12 PM

Question rotor questions

Greetings:

Thus far, I believe the rotors are similar to stock, solid in rear and ventilated up front. I have posed the slotted/perforated question twice without a response.

I think I will be seeing a cheap alternative to stock show up and I will put them through the paces as outlined above to see if they resist warping better/same as stock.

They may turn out to be 1) cheaper junk, 2) cheaper and equivalent to stock, or 3) cheaper, more warp resistant than stock.

I will be surprised, however, if they are up there with the cryo-treated, cadmium plated, multi-milled (perfs/slots,dimples,etc) examples out there but I know the price will probably be the least. A potential replacement for street-minded folk perhaps.

They should arrive this coming week for testing and I have asked the supplier to start thinking about his best price offer to listers here.

Craig
Old 05-15-2003, 06:37 AM

Talking "Chinese" rear rotor test

Installed rear rotor set. Overall machining was good with all aspects of OEM rotor there (two 10mm bolt holes for help with removal, etc.) Specs were stamped on edge of disc rather than cast on interior of OEM rotor. Thickness of new rotor is 0.392" and lateral runout maxxed out at 0.0011" on one disc and 0.0009" on the other. Installation went smoothly with it aligning perfectly, machine oil coating easily removed with cleaner, and no evidence of storage corrosion. Using semimetallic BeckArnley pads, I saw rotor temp max. of 550F on commute route and 775F on mountain run (see prior posting for specifics of these routes). The temps. decreased with carbometallic EBC pads to, respectively, 525F and 725F. Lateral runout a day later on cool rotors showed left, 0.0012" and,right, 0.0011". No bluing of rotor surface noted, no brake squeal with either pad types. No fade testing was done in view of only rears being changed. I'll reserve that for the addition of the front discs.

Overall, a decent rotor it would appear if you want a solid OEM-type rear. As far as the price, "Iyer", the name of the supplier, originally came up with $60.00 plus shipping...I said this was not competitive in view of iRotors slotted/perf'd rears at $130.00 plus shipping. He agreed but didn't definitively come up with what his "better" price is. At this point, I would suggest those who want this type of rear rotor contact Iyer directly at the following address, state you are a member of the SVX-net list, and inquire as to the cost for the rears. I believe he can be persuaded to sell for $50.00 each at least, maybe less, if you go for the fronts too prior to my testing.

I will be testing the front rotors now that the rears didn't appear to be junk and post their results. The front rotors appear to be OEM style ventilated..Iyer mentioned slots/perfs. but I believe the price will not be competitive enough to my way of thinking.

Contact email address: hs17110@yahoo.com
name: Iyer

Again, I am receiving no financial gain from this dealer. I was in the market for a cheaper source of SVX rotors since I seem to wear/warp them fairly frequently whether they are perforated/slotted or stock...probably a result of a lot of miles on Blue Ridge roads running hot so my 125 mile daily commute can be go as quickly as possible, especially coming home !

Regards,

Craig
1992 Pearlie
Old 05-15-2003, 07:33 AM
Porter

Fasteract...

Are you coming to the Dragon? The caravan leaves from Asheville tomorrow afternoon!
Old 05-15-2003, 12:10 PM
omahasubaru

Has anyone tried to work with ION Performance out of Canada to see if they could get their one peice cadium plated rotors cast in the SVX size?

They seem to be real active on brake kits, 2 peice & 1 peice replacement rotors & what not for other subaru models. They're in the process of casting '02-> WRX larger front rotors in their 1 peice design as we speak.

Just a thought.

Oh and BTW... I'm saving to buy an SVX as my 3rd car as I've loved them ever since I first saw one back in '99 & hope to own one within a years time.

Thanks - Jon
Old 05-16-2003, 11:22 PM
No front plate on My SVX

Where is ION performance in Canada, can you let me know a site or city?
Can't find a link using goggle?
I'd be more than happy to ask...

Old 05-17-2003, 05:53 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Captain Obvious here to save the day:

http://www.ionperformance.com/