How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-29-2005, 12:45 AM
Row faster...I hear banjos!!!!

Red face This bites - maxed out MAF is keeping me out of the 14's...

Well, I went to the track tonight with AmazonParrot, our friend Michael (who drives a '96 200SX SE-R) and met up with Will(AwdxBoost) from the LegacyGT forum. Temps were initially in thevery low 50's and fell to the mid 40's as the night went on (humidity increased slightly when the sun went down, but varied between 60-70%).

Passing Tech

Staging Lanes

First off, Will ran the third fastest time ever by a 5MT Legacy 2.5GT tonight - 13.22 @ 104mph w/ a 1.9 60ft. He's basically Cobb Satge 2 (w/ up pipe & down pipe and a cat back exhaust) but is still using the stock shifter and factory TMIC.

During my two runs, I got my fastest 60ft and 1/8th mile time and even improved my trap speed at the 1/8th by over 1mph from when I ran a 15.06. However, like I noticed earlier this week, my MAF is starting to max out briefly at the top of 2nd, but at a much lower rpm in 3rd!

My first opponent

2nd opponent - 5spd 350Z

Timeslips from tonight

For comparison - Timeslip from my previous 15.06 run

I thought that maybe my ECU was pulling timing after my first run, so I disconnected my battery for a 1/2 hour, reconnected it, did a few blips to redline in neutral, let my engine cool and went for a second run - no change in trap speed or ET.

Basically, the extremlely cool temps have maxed out my MAF to a point so low that I can't trap above 89.5mph in the 1/4! Seems like the ECUTune Stage 2v4 w/ the Z32 MAF is needed for a full-weight n/a 4EAT SVX to break into the 14's!

-Chike (I keep repeating to myself - 'patience is a virtue practiced by very few...' )

2013 Cosmic Blue 5spd Evo X GSR
2006 Galaxy Gray 6MT RX-8 (sold)
2006 Steel Gray WRX TR (sold)
1996 Brilliant Red SVX L (sold)
Old 10-29-2005, 01:30 AM
One teal and One yellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiketkd
-Chike (I keep repeating to myself - 'patience is a virtue practiced by very few...' )
Take it easy, Chike. If you're tired, go to bed early.

You will figure out and get into 14s again ... yep, patience is a virtue practice..yes, yes, yes.

If that's my option, if any chance, I will race with you of my yellow 4.44 svx 1 day.... that'll be a closer race.

92 LS-L TEAL since Aug '01
92 LS-L YELLOW since Mar '05
Old 10-29-2005, 08:44 AM

Very funny Ken! Either way, I have a few 'upgrades' I'll be installing next weekend at TomsSVX's place. I'll hopefully find a way around that maxed out MAF until LAN comes out with the OBDII chips...

-Chike

Old 10-29-2005, 09:05 AM
Still 1.7K to go...
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX
Chike i know you cannot beat your first opponent (is it a mustang?) but did you beat the 350Z guy? because once i raced a guy with a similar car, I did beat him! i was surprised of my SVX's performance!

1994 Silver SVX in hybernation, awaiting for the monsterous awakening (Lebanon)
1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 10-29-2005, 09:12 AM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
Looks like teh OBD1 is teh FaStAr!!! Seriously though, we had a few good ideas last night on the phone, lets see how they work out

Tom
Old 10-29-2005, 09:24 AM
Still 1.7K to go...

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsSVX
Looks like teh OBD1 is teh FaStAr!!! Seriously though, we had a few good ideas last night on the phone, lets see how they work out

Tom
Sweet music to my ears... can U tell me, can U tell me, can U tell me, hein? hein? hein? plssssssssssssssssssssss......

J/K

1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 10-29-2005, 10:03 AM
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOST

Send a message via AIM to Phast SVX
Chike,

Im really sorry to hear about the maxxing out maf i was really pulling for the 14 second auto run here......but there is something to be said still, its one of those good-bad problems in terms of the power your car is putting out :/ Let me know how things turn out.
phil
Old 10-29-2005, 10:48 AM
Which manual is "that" in??

On a non-technical side, that SVX looks sharp sitting on the line. Just a side note and handing it back now to the techs .

Is Bush in jail yet? (Looks frantically at watch, then back up) How about now? Now? Come onnnnnn...... Someone freeze me until January, this wait is killing me.
Update: 09 January, and still not in jail! Wassup??

1992 Teal LS-L - 160k (Now new and improved with perfect paint!)
Old 10-29-2005, 11:31 AM
Just some dude.

Significant Technical Input
that's what you get for letting some pensyllvania guy buy the 97 that should have been mine
Old 10-29-2005, 01:18 PM
no limitation as limitation

you closer then ever. take your time and think things through. expllore one possibility at a time through the process of eliminanation. you'll be in the 14's faster then you think!
Old 10-29-2005, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSpear
Chike i know you cannot beat your first opponent (is it a mustang?) but did you beat the 350Z guy? because once i raced a guy with a similar car, I did beat him! i was surprised of my SVX's performance!
Danny,

The 5spd 'Enthusiast' 350Z was fastAr!!! He ran a 14.55 @ 97 compared to my 15.16 pass in that run...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsSVX
Agreed. Looking forward to seeing if some of those things might help... The thing is in the cool temps last year when I ran 15.32 on 4.11 gears, my trap speed was also around 89.5mph. When Bwana ran a 15.37 in 40* temps, his trap was also 89.5mph. This number keeps popping up in cool temp runs on the stock MAF!

I now trap much higher in warmer temps due to my MAF!

Must be patient...must be patient!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phast SVX
Chike,

Im really sorry to hear about the maxxing out maf i was really pulling for the 14 second auto run here......but there is something to be said still, its one of those good-bad problems in terms of the power your car is putting out :/ Let me know how things turn out.
phil
Thanks Phil. Yeah, I guess there's a +ve to maxing out my MAF as it shows I'm making good power lower down in the rpm band. If only my engine can continue to make power up top - rather than just noise!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrophil
On a non-technical side, that SVX looks sharp sitting on the line. Just a side note and handing it back now to the techs
Thanks! She definitely looked pretty sweet at the line...

Quote:
Originally Posted by longassname
that's what you get for letting some pensyllvania guy buy the 97 that should have been mine
Somebody needs to find this man a '97. Just don't be picky on color!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthewmongan
you closer then ever. take your time and think things through. expllore one possibility at a time through the process of eliminanation. you'll be in the 14's faster then you think!
Thanks Monk. It's like feast or famine. Once I get my MAF issue worked out, I should go roaring into the 14's. Until that happens, I'll be knocking at it's door!

-Chike

Old 10-29-2005, 02:58 PM
Still 1.7K to go...

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiketkd
Danny,

The 5spd 'Enthusiast' 350Z was fastAr!!! He ran a 14.55 @ 97 compared to my 15.16 pass in that run...
I wish i can time accurately my SVX, but I have never seen a dragstrip over here. I will ask around if I can find one. I swear that i beated this 350Z in an uphill road !!!

Old 10-29-2005, 04:44 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Chike,
Yeah, the temps/humidity was about perfect last night....amazing how the ram air kicks in right before the 60' mark and Hoosiers just stick and go...
Nice consistency on your runs...
Great 60' times...2.109.....yeah, really good 60' times....2.109....definitely good 60' times
yep, the 25th is going to be interesting...
-Bill (looking for a 4HEAT in the mid/low 14s in November....)

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker

Last edited by SVXRide; 10-29-2005 at 04:47 PM.
Old 10-29-2005, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by longassname
Why get a 97 they have a different ecu then the 96
Old 10-29-2005, 05:19 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Why is it so.

What makes you think the Air flow meter is restricting the engine. Inquiring minds and all??????

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.