Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A > Chris's SVX Shop
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-15-2003, 04:32 PM
nickhawaii

Question rear differential mount

Aloha,

My technician has pointed out that the rear differential bushings are bad. The rubber has failed. He claims that this is the reason we hear a chirping noise every now and again from the rear when going over bad pavement or even when closing the doors. I have looked on Subaru parts website but cannot find the parts on any of the rear suspension or rear differential schematics. got any ideas as to what I should be looking for? A part number would be very appreaciated. Also if the rear diff is suspended at an odd angle because of the mounts being bad, would that throw off the allignment? The allignment shop says everything is within factory specs, but she still drifts to the right

Front suspension continues to give me some greif -- new tires, motor mounts, struts, helpers and spring seats are great -- however I still feel every variation in the road. She just does not feel as sure footed as when new -- or even a few years ago. My tech says he will retourque everything in the front to make sure all is tight but after that he is out of ideas. Springs? Stabiliser bars? Other rubber bits to change?

Finally the interior creaks and rattles are getting silly. Anyone had experience with the rubber bits that keep the plastic parts quiet?

Mahalo in advance for your response, much Aloha

Nick
Old 02-15-2003, 05:20 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
I can't help you with the bushings. I know mine needs bushings in the rear as well.

I have a little rattle in the front end when I close the doors. Sounds like a squeek.

As for the alignment I would suspect the tires. It's amasing how much incorrect tire pressure can affect the handling. I can tell right away when one tire is low a few psi.
Old 02-15-2003, 06:26 PM

Send a message via AIM to kuoh
Part number and price.

KuoH
Old 02-16-2003, 11:49 AM
nickhawaii

Kuoh

Thanks for the diagram and part number - that is the part. Will order today.

Nick
Old 01-13-2004, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by kuoh
Part number and price.

KuoH
KuoH

I'm having the same problem (as Nick in Hawaii) with identifying replacement rear differential mounts. Could you repost your link to the information above (the link is not active)

Regards and thanks

Reece

[from the Land Downunder]
Old 02-10-2004, 07:31 PM

Send a message via AIM to Ding N' Prayer
If you experiance a pull to the right your cv joints may be going bad. Check the condition of the cv boots and see if they have been comprimised. Another way to tell is if you hear a clicking noise while turning sharply at slow speeds.

'92 Teal LS-L Sold to North Carolinaians!
1972+'73 BMW 2002 tii('72) someday I'll finish restoring them,...someday (for sale)
Old 02-11-2004, 02:24 AM

Smile Rear Differential Mounts - Part Number

For all those who need to replace the two mounts at the back of the rear differential the part number (not listed in the Subaru parts diagrams) is:

41322PA000 and you guessed it .... they're unique to the SVX.

In Australia they are available through Subaru Dealers (special order from Japan) at about $50 AUD each.

If you notice excessive bumping in the rear during gearchanges and/or when doing full-lock turns - yours may need replacing.

With age the rubber perrishes and eventually tears allowing the rear of the diff to move up/down when torque is applied (during gearchanges, accellerating or when the viscous LSD is working hard - ie, full-lock turns).
Old 02-18-2004, 12:23 PM

Registered SVX
pulling to the right

My mechanic said that a LHD car is designed to drift to the right so that if you fell asleep you wouldn't hit opposing traffic. So how much is too much? A normal alignment wasn't enough to give me just a slight drift to the right, so the alignment shop found the sub frame needed to be shifted and they did. I find it hard to believe that there was enough slop in the mounting holes to allow it, but it was better afterwards.
Old 02-19-2004, 05:42 PM

Send a message via AIM to Ding N' Prayer
WHAT????!!!! I can't believe any car would be disegned to pull to the right in case you fall asleep at the wheel. Could you imagine the legal ramifications of that policy if true? Your mechanic is pulling your chain. Some cars paticularly sports cars have sensitive steering system that will pull to the side of the that the "crown" of the road is. The crown is the direction that rain water would flow. Try driving your car on a 3 lane highway and you may notice that in the right lane it pulls to the right, the left lane pulls to the left, and (lo and behold!) the middle lane in the center should not pull at all. If it does it means wheel alignment, low tire pressure (or un even), or at the worst it is possible your cv joints are failing. This would be most apparent if wheels turned all the way one direction or the other and you hear a faint clicking noise while driving slowly. Good luck.

'92 Teal LS-L Sold to North Carolinaians!
1972+'73 BMW 2002 tii('72) someday I'll finish restoring them,...someday (for sale)