Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-09-2003, 03:07 PM

Send a message via AIM to want-a-fast-svx
so heres what i found out

about my car...I took it to the dealer for a check on the engine to see what they thought was wrong and to find out exactly what was leaking...Well they pretty much said the normal and then some: crank seal, cam seal, valve covers, tranny hose needs to be replaced, new waterpump, cv joints and boots, he showed me a rubber piece of the suspension i believe that was leaking a little grease, sorry i cant remember the name of it...I believe thats what they said was wrong and i also know i need transfer clutches and to bypass the radiator b/c im getting binding...Also im getting a front end shimmy but im not sure if its the tires or not they are kinda bald and its only at certain speeds but im not sure yet what it is...So after all that rambling i was wondering if i spent the 200-300 dollars for the shop manuals, is it possible to do these things if you are somewhat mechanically inclined???cause the dealer quoted me 750 for everything if i had it id pay it but i dont so i cant and was hoping that the manual describes things step by step so if someone took their time they could figure it out...Sorry for the length trying to figure out what im gonna do...
Old 01-09-2003, 03:17 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Re: so heres what i found out

Quote:
Originally posted by want-a-fast-svx
about my car...I took it to the dealer for a check on the engine to see what they thought was wrong and to find out exactly what was leaking...Well they pretty much said the normal and then some: crank seal, cam seal, valve covers, tranny hose needs to be replaced, new waterpump, cv joints and boots, he showed me a rubber piece of the suspension i believe that was leaking a little grease, sorry i cant remember the name of it...I believe thats what they said was wrong and i also know i need transfer clutches and to bypass the radiator b/c im getting binding...Also im getting a front end shimmy but im not sure if its the tires or not they are kinda bald and its only at certain speeds but im not sure yet what it is...So after all that rambling i was wondering if i spent the 200-300 dollars for the shop manuals, is it possible to do these things if you are somewhat mechanically inclined???cause the dealer quoted me 750 for everything if i had it id pay it but i dont so i cant and was hoping that the manual describes things step by step so if someone took their time they could figure it out...Sorry for the length trying to figure out what im gonna do...

Believe it or not, 750.00 is reasonable for everything you listed. Replace the Timing Belt while you're replacing the water pump, and cam/crank seals. The rubber-oil-leaking-thingy was probably a CV boot. If your CV joints are bad, that could account for your shimmy.

I have the shop manuals. They are "close" to a "step by step," but are more attuned to someone with a high level of automechanical capabilities and especially attuned to the person with good knowledge of Subaru product in general. They also call for many of the "special tools" specific to Subarus with no tips such as "wedge a breaker bar against the subframe and bump the key."
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 01-09-2003, 03:25 PM

Send a message via AIM to want-a-fast-svx
damn....

Thats what i figured...hmm guess ill start saving upp...how bad is it to drive the car the way it is right now???
Old 01-09-2003, 04:02 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Re: damn....

Quote:
Thats what i figured...hmm guess ill start saving upp...how bad is it to drive the car the way it is right now???
Depends. If the seals are leaking badly, you'll have to keep a close watch on your oil level, or, risk burning up the engine. The bad CV joints will continue to eat up your tires and, if left alone for too much longer could cause difficulties with the rest of your front suspension components. Obviously, if the water pump is going south, you need to get that replaced ASAP. Overheating aluminum is NOT a good idea. Among other things. Fix things as soon as you can to avoid "Domino Effect" problems which will wind up costing you much much more than the initial repair bill.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 01-09-2003, 04:17 PM
hotshoe50

ONLY $750

My guess is that $750 is a great deal for all that you listed...

Besides all will be great until the next list builds up but my personal viewpoint is that when you get a bunch of things that need fixin, get 'em done... you'll feel much better, the car is better and you won't have so many conflicts as you listen for the next things to go wrong..

Sounds like a good deal overall!

Hotshoe
Old 01-10-2003, 05:12 PM

Re: so heres what i found out

Quote:
So after all that rambling i was wondering if i spent the 200-300 dollars for the shop manuals, is it possible to do these things if you are somewhat mechanically inclined???cause the dealer quoted me 750 for everything ..
I just finished doing the exact same surgery on one of mine( except cvjoints/boots) and spent $399 for parts (oil pump also included and new front engine cover). The cam bolts were so tight I had to buy the $60 wrench to get them off. Air impact wrench may work but there is only 7-8" clearance to fit in there...

It is a DIY project with the manuals (and carefully read all the instructions). Allow 10-12 hours to do a good job and if you have all the tools.
'80 Honda CBX in-line 24 valve 6 cylinder
Old 01-10-2003, 05:36 PM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
Pay them the 750. That's price is amazing. Be happy. You don't own a 94L Barcelona Red SVX with black interior do you?

L
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!
Old 01-10-2003, 05:51 PM

Send a message via AIM to solarsvx
Registered SVX
my frount engine seal went bad also its amazing how a little 1.40 seal can cause so much trouble and money..

bye all means get the replaced if it goes completl bad your crack will need tobe replaced wich is major motor work..

u will need to replace the timing belt also even if it is new,, the oil get on that also.

cv joints would be next on the list if those go abd your in trouble also most cv rebuild places can do it for 125.00 and good as new.

the valve cover leaks or a comon thing in the svx mine has it but nothing big just havent goten around to puting in the shop for the repair.

is it just me or does these svx seem to leak or have more hole then the titanic tee hee
Old 01-10-2003, 06:02 PM
Superbeast

Are you kidding?
Do you remember the EA81? That is the grand champion of leaks.
92 SVX #772 140k 6speed, ECU Tune stage II, Koni/Ground control, 3,270lbs.
91 Legacy Turbo 5spd. FMIC, crappy stock turbo, ACT clutch.
78 BRAT (New toy) (Soon to be EJ22T powered)
90 240 SX. RB25 powered!! DRIFT!!!111!!! (GF's car)

To many cars to spend time on teh web!
Old 01-12-2003, 08:41 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to CigarJohnny
$750 sounds like a great deal for all that work. A transfer clutch rebuild (you mentioned that on the list can easlily cost $750 to $900 alone. As long as they do quality work it is a good deal. If not then it might just be a good steal. Check with Beav but I might just be a little leary at the components used in a repair list that big for a price that low.

Ebony Mica '92 LS 80K Oct 2002 - Dec 2004: Victim of theft. She served me well.

You can tell the lack of craftsmanship by the wrinkles in the duct tape.