View Single Post
Old 11-17-2004, 08:31 AM
Was MacGyver

Registered SVX
If you plan it, they will come... Well, not guaranteed, but with a little notice and an appealing location you can probably get a small band of Puget Sounders down/over/up to wherever you live.

The reason so much of the "action" happens around the Puget Sound area is that the 4 or 5 of us that are willing to plan and put meets together live here. It's difficult to plan a meet sight unseen 200 miles away from where we live. Also, it is the population center of more than 50% of our members (and probably 90% of the active ones), so it makes it easy to get the large turnouts.

Case in point: We planned a "big official" meet in Hood River Oregon this summer (very close to most of our Eastern WA folks and of course all the OR members), it was announced and planned for SIX MONTHS. Guess how many showed up? Two. And those two were from the Puget Sound area!

By contrast, last Friday night there were 8 members at the meet in Issaquah, just east of Seattle. This meet was just an informal gathering planned two weeks ahead of time and the attendence blew away the numbers for the Oregon meet, not to mention the Canada meet from this summer as well.

Not to take anything away from those events at all, I'm just illustrating attendence trends and how they have worked so far. Big numbers are fun and a great challenge, but they aren't everything. Those that went to the OR and BC meets had an absolute blast.

And as last Friday showed, it doesn't take a lot to put something together and get some SVXers to show up. Just give enough notice and go for it!

1992 SVX LSL "Serenity" 250,000 miles!

I don't care, I'm still free, You can't take the sky from me...