Thread: Battery drain
View Single Post
Old 04-27-2008, 01:51 PM
Phil & Belha

Battery drain

I think I have a problem with my latest SVX. It's been parked up since October when I acquired it and I recently decided to start tidying it up. The previous owner had told me that the battery was useless and sure enough, it was dead. So I junked it and installed a fairly new battery from one of my other SVXes.

A few days later I came back to it and my new battery was completely dead. It wouldn't even charge, no continuity at all. I opened the caps and found that it was DRY inside. WTF So I added some water and put it on charge. I hope it recovers.

So I'm wondering, what did this car do to my battery? I measured the current flow with everything off and it's pulling 0.3 amps. My other SVX is only pulling 0.02 amps. So something is definitely amiss. But is 0.3 amps enough drain to cause this problem? That's only 3.6 watts.

I started pulling the fuses and found number 25 is the one pulling the current. From looking at the diagrams, pretty much everything inside the cabin works off that fuse: Clock, Radio, Illumination etc. I guess the only thing to do is to start unplugging connectors until I narrow down the location of the fault. What a pain in the ass.
1994 Alcyone SVX S40-II
2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SE Sports Tourer
1996 Subaru Legacy 2.2 GX Wagon
1988 Subaru Justy J12 SL-II