View Single Post
Old 04-01-2009, 10:52 AM

Entirely hypothetical wheel fitment, MB CLS

I don't have an SVX, but I saw these online, and instantly thought they might look good on SVX. I want an SVX sometime in the near-ish future... and have been kind of lurking here on your fine forums for some info...

Discount Tire Direct - MB Design CLS

It is a rip off of the Mercedes Benz CLS wheel, and while I am not a big fan of the CLS, it does have nice wheels.

These aftermarket versions have a 5x114.3 pattern, and is offered in 18 and 19 inches, multiple widths and offsets.

18x7.5 - 35
18x7.5 - 48
18x8 - 38
18x8 - 45
18x9 - 35
18x9 - 45

This wheel looks like it has good visual mass for the SVX. The SVX looks a little odd with spidery thin-spoke wheels, IMHO, since the SVX has a more substantial look, rather than a lot of thin, fine detail lines. It isn't as visually massive as the CLS car, though, thankfully.

It might be a little too much "bling", but unfortunately they don't come in Silver. (liquidmetal static wheels are similar, and come in both chrome and silver...) But my preferred SVX would be Laguna blue 95, with grey interior, and black roof... Chrome might offset the deep blue nicely... It wouldn't be subtle, though.

It would be interesting to see if the very high offset fitment would work in the front, and the 35-38 offset would fit on the rear... with the same wheel width, and the same tire on all four wheels, the differentials wouldn't notice the difference... The rear suspension and rear wheel bearings might, though... and it might need a bit of metal-massage to extend the rear fender flares to fit... It would look staggered, though.
No more tire rotation with directional tires...

Does anybody have these on an SVX? What do you guys think? too much chrome? Not the right design?

BTW, I also like this other MB wheel, the Rennen, for SVX.. but I can't find a whole lot of fitment data... 17" and 18" sizes is all...