View Single Post
Old 04-16-2010, 08:46 PM
$1 is just $1, but $2 = nachos

Re: STi brakes, the brute force way!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pegdrgr View Post
If you decide to take on the rears let me know, I can save you from needing "new" parts. I have axles and the R180 already.

Great job on this! truly better work than most shops would do. If you do up another batch of the lower adapters let me know, I would probably jump in on that. The rest of the stuff I would just source myself. Worst case I would be happy to either donate or offer you a nice(r) price on the parts to do the rear.

Jarrad
You don't have an R180 w/ 4.44 gears through, do you? I wasn't planning on a 6MT swap anytime soon... and I'm running a 4.44 4EAT right now. Slapping an R180 in there would be awesome to go with a full STi rear brake setup, but I don't know that it'd be worth it since I don't think a 4.44 diff is easily found... not to mention the cost for something with no benefit over the R160 LSD at stock SVX power levels.

I think I need to do some research/comparison of the rear knuckles/hubs. Forgive me while I brainstorm:

Just like the front, I'd like to use STi rear knuckles/hubs/bearings since I believe they're all stouter. Then slap the 2-pot FHI calipers and ventilated rally brakes (P/N RST-2632 here: http://www.rallispec.com/prod_brake.htm). Those are the rear brakes I'm running on my WRX.

But those 5x114.3 rotors are for the larger hubs that mate to the R180... which means the larger e-brake. So, perhaps an option is using everything from the STi (knuckle, bearing, e-brake drum, rotors, backing plate, calipers) except use the OEM SVX hub that mates to the R160 axles, and use a machined adapter that presses over the SVX hub to make it fit inside the STi bearings.

But once again the ABS becomes an issue, since I'm assuming the rear SVX hubs have the tone wheel on them instead of the axles.

So then it looks like you can do the above, but ditch the tone wheel on the hub and switch to WRX (non-STi) rear axles... but who knows if they'll mate to the back of the STi knuckles and line up with the ABS sensors. (Which could be a problem w/ the SVX axles as well, BTW.)

So now we're back to full STi rear knuckles/bearings/hubs/e-brake/rotors/calipers, etc. and building hybrid rear axles with the R180 style outter splines and the R160 style inner splines to mate to the OEM R160 diff. Ugh.

I think in this situation, the path of least resistance is just pressing the STi backing plates on there and using the SVX knuckles/hubs/bearings/rotors under the 2-pot calipers. But that means no ventilated rotors (unless you can get the R160 sized rotors in 5x114.3 which have no reason to exist), and no upgraded wheel bearings, which makes this a mostly cosmetic upgrade since it's not like the sliding calipers are that terrible... it's really just getting some beefier rotors and bearings back there that will really improve performance.