Thread: Custom exhaust
View Single Post
Old 10-14-2007, 02:14 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPnorth362 View Post
First off, motorcycles are not the highest Hp per liter engines. I get 5Hp out of a 3.5 cc 4stroke motor. How about rotary engines, and F1 cars?

Second, its not hard to get hp out of an engine that spins 14000-16000rpm, with a low loss gear box.

Third, more hp is to be made with equal length headers on a sport bike. You will also notice that the fuel mixture on two of the cylinders is different than the other two to compensate for many of the variables on hi revving engines with unequal length headers. Plus, motorcycles dont fit into the same catigory as cars.

Look at formula 1 cars. Close to, if not more than 300hp pr liter, and the equal length headers on them are works of art.
I was talking about production engines but you're totally right the rotary is a little better or at least neck and neck, now that I think about it.

I realize that there isn't as much mass being spun so driveline loss is minimized.

As for the 3rd, that's what I was asking. Looking at the bikes coming out these days and they tend to not be equal length headers. Your explaination seems to make sense and explains this anomally pretty good. It was just an observation that I wanted explored since more and more these days they aren't equal length.