Thread: Brake Problems
View Single Post
Old 10-01-2004, 12:44 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
The calipers on the SVX are a floating type, so they rely on clean, well-lubricated slides to operate correctly. Quite often the grease gets contaminated and the slides corrode or dry out. When this happens the caliper doesn't float properly and drags one of the pads against the rotor.

I don't think a sticking caliper is worth getting a new one, but I do make sure that every time I change my pads I take the slides and seals apart, clean them real well, and lube them up with high-temp caliper grease.

Now, if the seals on your slides are compromised, then you may need a rebuild kit to get new ones. Or maybe the seal around the piston has cracked and broken. I don't know. But I would recommend taking your car to somebody else for a second opinion rather than just dismissing the mechanic's recommendations as ridiculous.

If you can't afford a new caliper and new rotors, then I recommend selling the car. There are likely far more expensive repairs in your future, and it doesn't sound like that fits into your current situation.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE