View Single Post
Old 09-02-2002, 10:10 PM

oil filters2

All this talk about Oil filters

and seeing some of the bad press about Fram filters.
I have been told that Subaru no longer makes the filter for the SVX.. That what comes now is pretty much a fram filter with a Subaru logo.. Gosh I hope not..

I can say that upon first owning the SVX I switched the type of oil used.. To mobil 1 to whatever the dealer was useing, as I KNOW the owner only had the car serviced through the Suby Dealers. Lord that is scary to know..

Still when I first got the car I Noticed , at 3 to 4 thousand miles, the OIL was STILL Clean... Honey brown. As it should have been.
Welcome to my lil sight and smell test, if it goes that long and still looks good... YOu can rest those wheels a bit, the Engine is GOOD..

However when I switched oils, Yep I noticed it got darker faster, ( much faster) was no longer honey brown at 3K, more like Dark as night..

Given a years time , the oil stays cleaner a bit longer now...

People used to make fun of Napa Car parts and Car quest but part for part I have to say both places do a GOod job of Quality products.. Imyself have never had any issues with oil filters.. Other then the Rubber Grip ones by Fram can't seem to Take the HEAT..

THe best idea is to use a quality replacement filter that is also at a good price.
I agree the Fram with Teflon coating, is nothing more then coating Frams wallet with your money.

SVX1999

I did find a filter that was to be used as Second oil filter.. Had a Very low filtration, like down to 1 micron. WOuld last for a couple of years.. IF I know me I still have the company name that makes it.. I will post it..