View Single Post
Old 09-10-2007, 04:28 PM
Takin tools to task

Send a message via MSN to NikFu S.
Registered SVX
New engine? New car? What should I do...

I have already passed the point of spending more money repairing the car than what I initially bought it for, which was just under 8 grand.

So the car has been leaking oil since before I got it. There was a multitude of problems with it, and the problems only compounded the more I drove it.
So far I have been more than happy to fix every thing I could.
Transmission, both windsheilds, rear end collision, radiator, suspension which has yet to pan out.

So the leaks got to a point where they were leaving spots on the driveway this summer. I figured it's time to get that fixed. I look around town, actually got turned down by the place that did the heads on my XT6 saying they just don't want to touch it. Whatever.
I ended up bringing the X back to the place I went to this last spring, the guys that charged me somethign like $200 for an injector flush and told my my PCV system was missing. I convinced them it wasn't and told them to just make everything that is leaking, stop leaking. Should be easy right?

Well that was 3 weeks ago.

Since then I have been riding a pos V Star Yamaha in the sun and rain to work, with something of a chip on my shoulder and a fire up my ass.

Original estimates for work that should have been done Saturday were around $3400. I can handle that. Sorta. If I find out that's 1100 for valve covers that I already replaced, 1100 for an oil pump, and 1100 for rack and pinion I will be very, very cross. I originally told them I wanted all the seals replaced because they are ****in old and wore out, and tearing the engine apart is something I don't have patience for. They convinced me they could just clean the engine and find all the leaks. They apparently found how oil was getting on top of the block, from the IRIS valve, though he didn't seem to know what an IRIS was. I don't understand why oil would come from there but whatever they said they saw it drip.

I roll up to the shop today, expecting to get my car back. I see it sitting in the back, best looking car in the lot.
We pop the hood, they shoot me some **** about needing to replace the idler pulleys because the fairly new crank pulley has wobbled like the old red one, and while it hasn't reached the point of being a real problem like the old one, he is trying to convince me that the tiny bits of metal from the crank pulley are some kind of excuse to replace my idlers. They try to tell me the crank pulley ripped apart the timing cover and "pushed" on the idler when I told them twice already, no, it was the old one, and the old belt sawed into the cover as well. They shoot me a new estimate of an extra $1000. Suffice to say this ruins my day. I told them to just. fix. the. leaks. I can do this pulley **** myself.
And what if my crank is walking? That's the only explaination for multiple pulley failures, skidding over the cover and wobbling as a result.

I don't think I'm prepared to spend $4500 to let some shmuck dink around so much with my SVX.

This is what has been racking my brain all day. I've said multiple times I would never sell the car. Well, I'm not going to sell it, obviously, but what if after this there is more problems, which there is no doubt in my mind there will be? The AWD still doesn't work. The ABS still doesn't work. The suspension is pretty much shot. I'm going to end up paying more than what the car was originally worth.

So right now, what am I going to do with $4500 that I don't necessarily have?
/

'92 Dark Teal SVX LS-L, >146,000m
3 pedals, 5 speeds., restoration underway.
2012 Honda Insight, slow but cute.