View Single Post
Old 11-28-2003, 12:16 AM

Send a message via AIM to ykobayashi
Registered SVX
2003 Chrysler Town and Country - Lotta Bang for my Buck or mistake of a lifetime?

Hey All,

I need advice and I don't know of another group of guys I trust more when it comes to cars.

Okay a couple of face saving caveats before I go any further:

1. Yes, I am looking to go buy a new minivan. I realize that this will put me into the eternally uncool half of the populace but I'm married, have 2 kids (for now), a mortgage and a dog. I ain't foolin' anyone anymore (yes, I've already considered the SUV angle. They don't provide the room and flexibility of a minivan. I'm not willing to pay for "off-roadability" for a car that will never see more than a gravel parking lot, a dismal gas mileage and handling of a tool shed) At least I still have an SVX to counter this!

2. I'm sure that many of you are import buyers and you're probably thinking "what the hell has possessed a Subie owner to consider a Chrysler?!" I too have been a import buyer for many years but the Toyota and Honda dealers are holding consumers hostage with their minivans by charging sticker price or sticker plus "premiums". I'm hoping that the "domestics" (Chrysler is really German, now) have brought their quality up to an acceptable level. I really like the way the T&C looks as well, more so than its import counterparts. (not that one buys these things for their "aesthetics")

So now let me continue, So I've come to the conclusion that because I have a friend that is a Chrysler dealer that is willing to help me out and give me the "Friends and Family" employee discount. I'm thinking that this might be a viable alternative (read - much cheaper! $5k or more) to the Sienna or Odyessy. But I realize that I will be taking a risk.

I have never owned a Chrysler product before. I have heard of nightmares from the early and mid 90's about Chrysler products (mainly transmissions) "handgrenading" before the payments were over. As well as unrepairable electrical problems, trim pieces breaking off, etc. However, I have friends that have purchased Minivans, Intrepids and Stratus cars and my parents own a 2000 Cherokee. None of these people have had any of the serious problems that I have heard of in the past.

So the purpose of this extra long posting is to ask all of you to share your stories (personal or acquaintances) regarding Chrysler Town and Countries or Dodge Caravans or any other recent Chrysler products. This will help me in my decision. Am I getting more bang for my buck or making the biggest car buying mistake of my life?

Thanks for your help, any feedback is greatly appreciated.

[B]1995 SVX L AWD - Original Owner
65k - Brilliant Red
Mods: K&N Drop In Filter, Sony aftermarket CD/MP3 Stereo and Speakers, Sumitomo HTR+ Tires

2004 Mazda 6S 5-door - Steel Grey - 5 speed manual transmission - Daily Driver

2011 Mazda CX-9 - Wife's ride

Last edited by ykobayashi; 11-28-2003 at 12:24 AM.