View Single Post
Old 07-07-2014, 06:29 PM

Re: Performance 4EAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiftySVX View Post
The transfer clutch will need to be broken in. You'll be surprised how long this takes. Did you use the thinner bearing and updated drum in the high clutch? The hub is also slightly different, it seems that they really wanted to increase clearance in the high clutch area and provide for lubrication.
I've been tuning the TCU to fix up the transfer clutch, it's going pretty good. I thought about break-in but it's my understanding that the factory breaks them in. When I bought the new ones from Subaru I could see they were worn already, and they were all in a matched set (already assembled) and covered in fluid. They may need to break in a bit more, we'll see.

I had to use the old style high clutch drum to use the special Kolene 1.52mm steels. With the newer drum I could not get 6 frictions, the tooth pattern is different. The old drum also required the weaker reverse frictions, unfortunately. I think there is some drum that's in-between that takes the Kolene 1.52mm steels and the newer reverse frictions, but I couldn't find one.

I was able to use the smaller bearing thrust plate and newer hub, so that's an improvement.