View Single Post
Old 11-08-2009, 09:37 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Re: '92 tranny in a '95?

[QUOTE]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
You advise that, “the original NC solenoid is still fitted.” Have you ever physically confirmed by examination, that the solenoid still fitted to your SVX is in fact a normally closed device?
The replacement solenoid that I purchased for the VIN No. of my model is a NC solenoid, and the action of it when the fuse is in, confirms it to me.

Quote:
You state that --- “it still has the VTD function to change torque in corners by shifting torque to the front wheels. The tighter the corner, the more torque is applied to the front, so it still has the same ability to accelerate hard around tight corners, as it did with the clutch working."

Just how do you contend that there can be a variation/change, increasing torque bias towards the front during cornering, when the clutch operation has been overridden by means of the fuse switch?
Due to the way the epicyclic center is constructed with different leverage through the different size gears to the front/rear. When the front wheels rotate faster than the rear, the gears start to rotate at a different speed to each other, as the front are turning faster, they have a lower reduction. This results in a higher torque delivered to them.

Quote:
My considerable experience, gained during successfully racing several front wheel drive cars, does not confirm the idea such that, “so it still has the same ability to accelerate hard around tight corners.” This I believe is simply advertising blurb to which you were no doubt exposed, created by Citroen during and post the mid thirties.
I was never a fan of front wheel drive cars. Did not need advice from advertising blurb, to form an opinion of them. The action of the VTD can not be compared to them.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.