View Single Post
Old 04-20-2007, 05:19 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor
Phil, I appreciate and agree with all you say regarding advantages when running a an engine above its ratings. I too have enjoyed racing a modified Mini Cooper.

However in affect what has now being generally indicated here, is that the original system as designed and fitted to the SVX is inadequate and faulty. Modern engines at designed to operate at a preset temperature, above normal boiling point and the cooling fluid is held under pressure so that this is achieved.

The system has been designed with normal coolant as has been specified as the bench mark. Why doubt the manufactures technical ability and lower the deigned operating temperature, in order to advantage the supplier of another cunningly advertised product?
It is a good point you make Trevor, and well thought through as is your usual wont.

In my own case, my engine is going to be making a lot more heat than the standard system, so I am actually looking for a small edge or advantage, as it were.

There is one point I would make in favour of using the product say in unfavourable circumstances, like a long drive through hot territory in the middle of summer. We all know the SVX engine makes a lot of heat. On older cars the electrical items under the bonnet such as the maf sensor tend to fail later in life from the high underbonnet temperatures. So also does the wiring get brittle up around the intake. Localised heat spots or heating around the cylinder cores that causes detonation or "pinking" as we call it here, this will never be heard by the driver because the SVX has a closed loop system using the two knock sensors to detect this. It will be detected, and the ECU will retard the ignition to correct it, before the human ear notices.

In these circumstances the engine will be running under retardation, and will not give its best power.

If the Water Wetter product does what Redline says it does, and reduces or eliminates these hot spots, then the car would actually run better without the ECU retarding the power.

It depends how sceptical you want to be about their claims, I suppose.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl