View Single Post
Old 04-20-2007, 03:44 AM

Guys

I use this product in my "hot" Mini's............ and put some in the SVX just because I had some.

The radiator on a Mini (original not BMW) is marginal at the best of times, and when you double the horsepower the cooling requirement correspondingly increases......... I use a more modern, better design of radiator and I use demin water with "Water Wetter".

This group of products are described as "surface tension modifiers", Water is surprisingly not very good at absorbing heat from engine blocks nor releasing it to the radiator. My chemistry and thermodynamics are not up to explaining exactly the phenomina behind this, something to do with localised bubbling/boiling of the water at the interface between the water and the metal........... Adding a glycol antifreeze/lubricant only makes this situation worse as glycol is about 5 times worse at absorbing heat than water..........

The "Water Wetter" is supposed to reduce the surface tension of the water slightly, which is supposed to allow better heat transfer (smaller bubbles I guess !!) both from the block to the water and water to the radiator.

What I can tell you is my experience is similar to Holcrest, when used on both my Mini's and the SVX the temperture gauge regesters a maintained lower temperature with no other modificiations to the cooling system, so it does appear to do something positive.

However as already mentioned it isn't a magic bullet. If the existing system is insufficient either by design, operating outside the original designed capacity, or through poor maintenance/neglect/wear then this product won't solve your problem.

Phil.

Edited to add : I've just read Pete's post (damn I should type faster !!) and the links off this and the earlier post to be pleasently surprised that I got things about right !!

Last edited by Phil Hill; 04-20-2007 at 03:58 AM.