View Single Post
Old 06-08-2012, 05:32 PM
it's ruby red - not burgundy!!

Registered SVX
Re: SVX is testing my resolve..

My thoughts exactly - don't give up!!

Each problem that you fix, each part that you replace, means that there is one less potential problem to affect you in the future. Most of the problems that you have mentioned are relatively common on the SVX, so now that you have dealt with them, there is far less to go wrong from now on.

The transmission on the SVX does seem to be a problem though - the one in my Grey SVX failed originally at only 52,000 km!!!!

There is still some debate as to why the 4EAT unit fitted to the SVX is so failure-prone, as the (essentially) same unit fitted to other models has proven very reliable. It may simply be that the unit is not strong enough to handle the torque and weight of the SVX. For example, the original 4EAT in my 1987 Vortex is still running fine - after more than 200,000 km!

If you have a 4EAT rebuilt by a professional who knows these transmissions, you should certainly not expect a failure to occur after only 40,000 km. It does sound as if the rebuild was not done properly. One thing that comes to mind is that if the high clutch was not replaced during the previous rebuild, this would cause slipping in 3rd and 4th.

Note that an excessive delay in engaging reverse is often caused by low line pressure, so I would check the condition of the fluid and the filter in the pan before going any further.

Was the rebuild covered under any kind of warranty? If so, you should definitely look into that first.

I am sure that you are aware that many people install manual transmissions into their SVXs after the 4EAT has failed. That is certainly an option, but personally, I think that the SVX should be an automatic - it suits the character of the car.

Jason.

1992 Ruby Red SVX - 165,000km

....now with sequential VIN numbers!

1986 Holden (Isuzu) Piazza Turbo - 225,000km

1993 Mercedes W140 S500 Coupe - 153,000km

1990 Mercedes W124 300D - 313,000km

EG33 + 4EAT + VTD AWD = SVX