Old 11-05-2008, 05:23 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Re: Free Smallcar shift kit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by processengr View Post
Hi Rebbecca,
I saw your post (pretty generous offer!)and your comment that

"the 4.44 it made the shifts way too firm. To the point where it would slam into second. I wouldn't recommend this shift kit for a SVX with the 4.44."

As a recent convert to 4.44 {an excellent job by AllWellDrive BTW] I thought my conversion bang shifted into second when accelerating very slowly on level or downhill. Seeing your comment, I made a jumper to bypass the kit. No improvement. Which leads me to the question, did you try adjusting the vacuum switch? Maybe you had a vacuum leak affecting its operation, causing the circuit to the resistor to open "early" ?
I have had the kit since we bought the car, disconnecting it was very noticeable at about 1/2 throttle accelerating. It is like a slipping clutch without it. Do you notice this effect?
I don't want to hijack the thread but, seeing Rebecca has sold it,

I would like to add a bit about the difference between the Small Cars Shift Kit and the Quick Change.

The Small Cars shift kit, sends a full throttle Duty Cycle signal to the A solenoid to raise the line pressure to full pressure.

This gives the light throttle change, the same feel as the full throttle change. So when accelerating at full throttle, through the gears, it makes no difference if is has the Small Cars kit or not, it only feels better at part throttle changes.

Where it falls down is that the line pressure, and the engine torque are still reduced during the change, and these are the two problems that make the changes so soft and slow.

The Quick Change was designed to cure both of these problems. It prevents the TCU from reducing both the line pressure, and the engine torque during the change, while still allowing the Throttle to control the intensity of the change. Light throttle light change, progressing to full throttle hard change.
The SVX was the only auto to be given this softening treatment by Subaru, the Legacy, Impreza and the Outback were allowed to retain the fast/hard change, that the Quick Change gives to the SVX.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.