View Single Post
Old 03-30-2006, 10:30 AM
Registered Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by jman050
My engine currently has 194k miles on it. It had a sticky lifter that was resolved with MMO and it has an oil leak that needs to be fixed. Id like to install a 100 shot this summer. With an engine with these kind of miles what would you gurus recommend be done to the engine to make it safe to run nitrous and stay running for many more miles?
Should I replace the headgasket?
replace piston rings and hone the bores?
If the engine has 194K, then the chance of running it on nitrous and keeping it running for many more miles is not terribly good? I say ride her till she f*cks you, or don't ride her at all. Motor swaps are easy. Don't waste money by putting it into a motor that you plan to beat on anyway. Start saving for a better, lower mile motor. You can get a good used motor for about the cost of new nitrous system. I ran a 75 to 125 dry shot for about 18 months. I settled on a 105 shot and used it sparingly. I only used about 10-12 bottles during that time and never saw any ill-effects. Of course, the next time could have been the last time. Start with 75 and don't gas off the line. Using it on the freeway is a blast. Its fun to be side by side with someone at about 65 and then just punch it and leave them like they were standing still. Make sure you choose your spots though, because the car will need a bit more time/distance to slow down. Try not to endanger other drivers. A brake upgrade would be a good idea. Also, an exhaust upgrade can yield huge results when you're squeezing. Good luck.

Stephen