View Single Post
Old 04-28-2009, 04:49 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Re: Q for electrical guys - no start / no power

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasserbox View Post
New acquisition - 92 SVX 104K

Car ran "great" when parked 2 years ago. Tranny was blown (not an issue). Some mystery person had it up on jackstands to replace the tranny, but some sort of drama I wasn't paying attention to ensued, and the car sat with a brand new tranny uninstalled next to it for the next 18 months.

Symptom - no change in power from off - on - start with the ignition.

Car is in now in my barn, about 30min away and I haven't had a chance to start poking around with the multimeter.

The only two things that show any sign of life are the little red "security" light, and the hazards.

The battery is new. The battery terminals are new. The ground is attached, but I'm not sure of the quality of the connection. The hot has cables to the starter and .... elsewhere - guessing the interior fuse panel.

I thought initially that there was no power to the interior fuse block, but the hazards work....

What I'm curious to know about, is
A) Anyone got a place to start, or just work my way from the battery back with the mutimeter
B) Where the heck are the secondary fuse panel and Relay panels located? The one in the engine compartment is pretty obvious.
C) How exactly does the security system function? Is there a power-kill function built into it? From studying the wiring diagrams, it seems to have it's tendrils in the ignition wiring. Can I just disconnect the module to remove it from the equation?
d) What exactly is this "Fusable Link" I keep seeing in the diagrams?

Thanks
Giday Mate welcome to the site.
This a scan of the main electrical system. You can see the 'fusable link' in the main box marked 1.5. The other fuse box is under the dash near your left foot.
http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/atta...2&d=1238164070

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.