View Single Post
Old 02-24-2004, 11:37 AM
mark10t

If by 'front drive shafts', you mean the axle assemblies (incl. CV joints and boots), you can get re-manufactured aftermarket units readily available; Subaru has been offering re-manufactured units for their vehicles but I am not sure if they are now offering SVX axles, yet. If 'Subaru' re-man's are available, you might check with subaruparts.com (or others) for a better price than your loca dealer. Make sure you get the 'lifetime' warranty if available. For little or no extra money you'll have 'axles for life' if you keep your receipt.

I would strongly recommend that the timing belt gets changed at 120,000 mi's if it hadn't been already done (as Subaru recommends) at 60,000 mi's. California emission laws mandate that the belt must be good 'til 100,000 mi's., so I did mine just a little after 100,000 mi's. If you KNOW the belt was changed at 60,000 mi's, you could stretch it to 160,000 mi's. (100,000 mi. interval).

The bottom line is, the SVX 3.3L (and Subaru 2.2L) engine(s) are 'non-interference' engines and no harm will come to valves and pistons. The worst thing that can happen is that you will be stranded with a 'dead' vehicle at an inoportune time.

As for tires, check the posts here. The general consensus has been Conti Contact Extremes are the 'best bang for the buck' for a good all-season tire. Act fast, though, scuttlebutt has it that they are bumping the price soon.

Good Luck,

-Mark