View Single Post
Old 05-05-2003, 08:46 AM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

O/T Astro AWD

Yeah, mostly from experience. Back about 5 years ago I was working for a Courier service and drove one probably 8k from Harrisburg to Syracuse every night for about 5 months. The thing had right around 100k on it and was if I remember correctly a 94ish model. During that time it had to go in for work 4 times. All electrical issues. Granted it wasn't like the trannies go or anything like that but sensor type stuff. They are a vehicle that most dealers tend not to want to buy at auction either due to the expense of AWD but then again nearly all AWD vehicles suffer the same fate at auctions.

If ride was a concern I'd say lean toward a Chrysler AWD minivan but the only way I would ever recommend a Chrysler vehicle would be as a new car or 2 years or less with low miles from a Chrylser dealer. They too have issues but mostly engine issues that they all tend to have, i.e. oil consumption.

I would think a decent Chevy Astro would fit the bill as far as a people hauler in winter. It handled decently on the snowy 81 north from Harrisburg. Not so good on ice but then again look at it. You wouldn't expect it to. I've never driven an AWD a Aerostar but have seen them do some things in snow that shocked me that they could do.