View Single Post
Old 03-23-2004, 08:57 AM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
Quote:
Originally posted by tomssvx
yes, there was an OBDI, and you are driving in it u tell me. The ECU used in the svx before 96 was the OBD I, and personally i like it a lot better, due to the fact that tou do not need a 3000 dollar scanner to find out, you need an 02 sensor. The OBD I Ecu's in most cars had a self diagnostics check like our's w/ the black connector and blue wires, as oposed to OBDII which you need to have checked by a profensional w/ the scanner. In my book, it's not cool to pay mechanics, they just screw more stuff up.
I'm detecting another AutoZone customer.

The codes you retrieve from the car's computer do not necessarily mean that device is bad. A vacuum leak could set off a code saying the O2 sensor is stuck low, for example. The codes just tell you where to begin investigating. I do driveability work almost every day and I get quite a few cars from people using the 'AutoZone Shotgun Approach' - pull a code, sell a part, didn't fix the problem, "Sorry about your luck, Chuck. Here, try another part..." and the a trip to see me to fix the original problem and remove all the crap parts they sold you that aren't worth putting on a skateboard. We don't buy cheap parts like theirs because we, as professionals, can't afford to back them up. Too many shop owners are too lame to tell their customers to leave and not come back if they insist on using "..the parts down the street are cheaper than what you are trying to screw me for." That's how so many techs earn your trust. Well, that and most people think if someone can change the washer on a garden hose they are qualified to do auto repair. [/soapbox off] Sorry, I'm a little touchy after hearing that drivel for thirty some years.