View Single Post
Old 09-23-2006, 11:33 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
I can't think of any V rated rubber that won't 'spot'. Spotting occurs whenever a warm tire is parked on a cool surface. Prevalent in V and higher rated tires due to nylon being used in their construction. That means that old tires with nylon belts do the same thing.

When a tire spins fast centrifugal force wants to pull the center of the tread out. That makes for poor handling and tire wear patterns. Most of us know that when you touch a nylon windbreaker (especially a thread) to something hot it shrinks and curls. Sooo.... when a nylon belt gets warm from high speed it also shrinks a tad and keeps centrifugal force from destabilizing the tread face.

Personally I can take the spotting but I'm tired of tires that get noisy as hell and ride rough after they accumulate a few thousand miles. My next set will be H rated. Now before anyone gets their panties in a bunch about handling degradation, etc., consider that with the short sidewalls of a 50 series tire will keep that to a minimum. Besides, not everybody drives over 90 for great distances. And of those that do, how many replace, rather than repair, their tires when they have a puncture? A puncture repair renders the speed rating to nil, you know... Now remember, for the sake of liability, this is what I am going to do and it is not a recommendation for others to follow.