View Single Post
Old 03-18-2010, 09:32 PM

Re: Recurring Transmission Problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiftySVX View Post
If you filled the fluid to "full hot" when the fluid was cold it blew it out the vents and superheated the fluid once it got warmed up. It probably also blew past the front seal and damaged the converter bushing. I have seen this many times when a 4EAT is overfilled. This is easy to see if it is what happpened because the bellhousing will be covered. Also, if I remember correctly after a rebuild I would put something like a quart and a half in the converter and then the trans would take something like 12 more quarts, but that is including all the piping which was backflushed and empty.

That is of course a random guess but it is a possibility. I typically fill mine to the "low cold" dot on the stick because then it will be near "low hot" when my trans is at 175 which is where it runs at, and I have plenty of breathing room should something crazy happen and my fluid gets hotter than that.

Further, If the trans fluid is not flushed between every transmission and the converter rebuilt you stand an excellent chance of repeat failures even if you put 30 transaxles in it. I have seen skilled, experienced technicians make this mistake. This is why every manufacturer will supply a reman transaxle/transmission with a new/reman converter.
By 'the bellhousing will be covered' do you mean the inside or outside? I'm not sure where the vents are... And i'm thinking that that the remaining fluid that was in the filter and cooler circuit must have been contaminated and that caused the failure.