View Single Post
Old 08-02-2002, 11:29 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to jscorse
..and let me add...GOOD jack stands

Not those little 'sheet' metal three legged ones you get at the Dollar Store.

Many moons ago my neighbor (a sheriff) was working on his boat trailer brakes. Here's the picture... A LARGE boat on a two wheeled trailer. Front of trailer is on that little 'plastic' wheel that folds up when in tow.

One wheel and drum is off and he has one of those little chinzy tripod 'stands' under the trailer frame. He is leisurely working on the brake with his LEGS UNDER THE TRAILER.

So here you have a HEAVY boat on a trailer that has three points of contact with terra firma. One tire, one dolly 'wheel' and one cheezy sheet metal jack.

As he's yanking on the brake parts the trailer twists and the jack crumbles and the metal disk that holds the brake parts up lands on his THIGH.

AAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

As I sprinted over with my dad's 2ton hyd. jack no less than five guys (other nieghbors) try to free is leg to no avail.

The disk severed one of his quadracepts (which was removed) and easily broke his femur. He didn't loose his leg but he had one hell of dent in it for a long time.

Long story I know, but....well enough said.

I prefer my car ramps (with extensions) for oil changes because it's such a pain to get the hyd. jack under the car. For the wheels I usually take it in for the free rotate (yes...front to back only) and balance.

As someone once said.....THAT's GOTTA HURT!