Thread: Stupid Brakes
View Single Post
Old 06-29-2004, 02:23 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Re: Stupid Brakes

Quote:
Originally posted by civic_slayer
Well, I finally had to replace my rear brake pads and came across a few problems.

Problem 1: During the replacing of the pads, I made the nice discovery that my driver rear caliper is stuck. The pads look very new and the rotor looks unused, so I left it be being that I couldn't unstick the caliper. On the passenger rear, I got the pads in but now sounds like there is a metallic noise as though the rotor is slightly warped and slightly brushing on one small portion of the rotor.

Since the install, my brake light comes on all the time. I've bled the brakes and everything and am wondering if it could be that the one caliper isn't making any contact and thus a warning is sent to the ECU, or whatever determines what makes the light come on.
That doesn't make any sense because there are no sensors to detect such an issue.
Quote:
Originally posted by civic_slayer
Problem 2: Every once in a while since the install of the brake pads, a really loud grinding noise comes from the brakes on the supposed siezed caliper.

It won't be a problem to get new brakes, but I really don't want to spend money if what I have is still good, with the exception of the finicky siezed caliper. The car brakes fine, but just has a few bugs to work out.

Also, When bleeding the brakes I discovered that the SVX brakes run in a diagonal pattern, meaning that when the driver front brakes are bled the passenger rear brakes need to be bled as well and vice versa.

Please help figure out this sometimes noisy problem.

Thanks again,
Keith
As for the seized caliper, that's a recurring problem on nearly every Suaru I've owned. The calipers are a sliding type, and you have to make absolutely, positively certain that the slides and boots are clean and well-greased with caliper grease. You may have to remove the slides and clean them with a fine-grit sandpaper to remove corrosion.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE