View Single Post
Old 09-29-2008, 03:47 PM

Re: What is worse? Why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxistentialist View Post
Nothing.

Childbirth is natural and very necessary for the survival of the human race. 18-21 is the age around which we are biologically best suited for having healthy babies.
Thank you, now only if this was the attitude we showed them.

Quote:
Most of the replies so far including Nick's and Dustin's, some from people who have been there, done that, point out that the financial stability required for raising a child well is difficult to provide if the young parent is unable to set up a stable and well financed family unit. You consistently ignore or counter these life experiences as if you know different or you know better. Explain why you swim against the tide of general opinion and common sense here?
I fully plan to, I'll post that shortly. The problem is mostly the fact that these are the same old points we are aware of, the same ones that have been plastered all over news articles, based on the same statistics that the media has been blabbering about since we were born (updated we assume). I'm not looking for these, I know them well, I'm looking for the reason we feel the need to make them over and over again, and why we do so without attempting to "correct the problem" and without the ability to move forward. Even when a 30 year old mentions they were a teen mom, they get a whole new attitude from people despite the fact that their 'mistake' was over a decade in the past.

Quote:
You are displaying an ageist attitude here. There are various legislations in place now to ensure such ageism attitudes are not allowable in job interviews and so on. You might need to re-assess your attitudes to such things in case they colour your thinking in a negative way.
You just stated that 18-21 is the biologically best suited age to have children? My feelings match this fact, if that offends you please accept my apology, but that is how I feel. In no other way am I 'ageist', I fully respect, accept and appreciate the experience and opinions of my elders, I simply don't always agree with them. The majority of my elders that I come in direct contact with rarely agree with each other so I don't feel this should be offensive, sounds to me like reverse ageism when they take offense just because it was stated by a younger individual.

Quote:
When I got married the second time {for reasons I won't go into here} my wife and I were nearly 40 and we wanted children. My children are now all well on the way to healthy and happy and financially secure adult lives. No drugs, no problems, no police, just happy young adults who shoulder responsibility for themselves and are good achievers.
But that's just me and my family. I'm sure you have just insulted hundreds of thousands of American families as well with your well thought out philosophy on life.
Based on your experience.
So far.
Joe
Now why is that necessary? I understand if you don't like what I have to say but do you be distasteful in return? I did not in any way intend to demean your choices, just how I feel personally. If that works for you, great! But as a person who has been overweight in the past in addition to smoking for a number of years, statistically I have already shortened my life. Based on that and a number of other reasons, I would like to preserve some of my 'post child rearing' years and spend more of my youth enjoying the time with my children.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikFu S. View Post
When I was a preteen I thought the same thing, I didn't want to be a 40-50 year old parent because I thought I might be too tired or broken to have fun with teenage kids.
As you can see, I'm not alone. In this case, my decision led me to a lower number and there is no harm in that.