View Single Post
Old 07-18-2008, 08:33 PM
Subaru Engineer Wanabe

Re: Didn't realize that the transmission problem jokes were that serious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omar View Post
Well, I've put less than 100 miles on the car, and today the trans started slipping in the 1st to 2nd shift. I wanna cry. When I owned an Impreza, we had a tranny cocktail of redline transmission fluid and GM syncromesh that'd keep us going. Is there anything similar here? I'm willing to pay now to avoid not having a moving car. Recommendations?
Relax, here are some good steps to follow:

1) Perform a band adjustment on the tranny. Do a search or look at the How Tos and you should be able to find it. If this fixes or reduces the symptoms of slipping, then proceed with:

2) Draining the tranny pan, get the tranny oil pan off, replace the internal filter with WIX 58969.

3) Replace the exernal filter with a Permacool external tranny oil filter.

4) Add an external tranny oil cooler.

5) Replace the pan with the new gasket, fill the tranny via the tranny dip stick tube with ~10 qts Valvoline DEXRON III.

6) Add 1 or 2 qts of LUCAS TRANSMISSION STOP SLIP for preventive maintenance (it has wonders for me).

If you need help, we'll be here.
'05 Subaru Impreza STi, '02 Subaru Impreza WRX Wagon, '01 Toyota Celica GT, '98 Subaru Legacy GT 2.5 Sedan, '96 Isuzu Rodeo, '95 Jeep Cherokee 2WD, '94 Plymouth Sundance, '94 Subaru SVX LSi, '93 Subaru Impreza, '92 Subaru SVX LS-L, 2003 Subaru Baja.