View Single Post
Old 03-19-2006, 08:31 PM
Takin tools to task

Send a message via MSN to NikFu S.
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by spinn360
Many people on here say if the cars in FWD all the time the diff will blow. Now you say if its in 4WD the diff will blow. Well you know what good I hope it blows!
If an AWD car is running FWD, the front diff may blow depending on stress of wheelspin. If an AWD car is running AWD, probably not gonna blow unless the clutches are fully engaged all the time like in the event of a Sol C failure. If a FWD car is running FWD, probably not gonna blow unless too much torque is applied (+300).
Quote:
Originally Posted by spinn360
As my car was (before I just did this) the car wouldnt even move in the snow unless I put it in 2nd and barely gave it any gas. If I wanted to change lanes it was nearly impossible to not slide. The car as I said really sucks in just FWD when its supposed to be AWD. So now when I remove the fuse the 50/50 split works. I believe either my TCU is always sending power to the solenoid making it FWD. I dont know if the TCU is bad or one of the sensors that communicates with the TCU. I have no codes on the TCU. If anyone else tells me that when the solenoid fails the car becomes FWD I would have to say you mean the TCU fails because unless your talking about the solenoid failing by sticking in the closed position it cant be true.

Also If you look at the info in LEE's PDF file it show the connectors wrong it counts from 8-1 when it should count from 1-8 as 3 in that order is an empty spot no wire. Although a few pages down it shows the voltage for that wire with the FWD fuse in with power. Not without. And normal operation were the solenoid would be making the AWD work is less voltage less power. No power equals 50/50 split 100% fluid to transfer clutch!! SO BLAH BLAH BLAH I WIN
You are correct. A closed Sol C engages full AWD by default, as pressure is bult onto the transfer clutch, and opens increasingly as voltage is read acting as a pressure bypass.
In the event of failure Sol C closes, the clutches are applied and over a short period of time provided the clutch packs are good, binding will deteriorate the differential, eventually breaking it, causing a FWD situation that may lead to the loss of the entire drivetrain given the right circumstances.

---
I think given the conditions you are explaining and the nonexistent history of TCU faliures either your center diff is chunking or your Sol C is sticking in a full or partly open position. It might be obstructed.

I think if you wire a switch to override the TCU and force constant 50/50 AWD you will undoubtedly blow a diff, but if you are just going to use it in slippery conditions by all means go for it.
This might be an easy way to help pinpoint the trouble.

'92 Dark Teal SVX LS-L, >146,000m
3 pedals, 5 speeds., restoration underway.
2012 Honda Insight, slow but cute.