Thread: Oil starvation?
View Single Post
Old 07-13-2004, 01:35 AM
SVX Appeal

Unless your oil light comes on when maneuvering, your engine is getting oil. I have a POS Honda that consistently gives me an oil pressure warning light if I dive hard into a right-hand corner. If the oil is a bit low, it'll give me a light if I dive hard into a left-hand corner. If the oil is extremely low, it gives me an oil light if I drive any way but straight ahead.

Before I rebuilt the engine on that hunk of rust, it burned so much oil that it was always low. I found that even when it was three quarts low, it had enough oil to prevent the oil light from coming on during more normal driving. If the light started coming on when I accelerated, then it was time to add more. At that point, three quarts was enough to get it to register on the dip stick. Adding a fourth quart was enough to get the level between the high and low marks. The engine would happily accept two extra quarts, but two and a half would cause an array of funny problems, including smoke from the exhaust and oil bubbles in the air filter housing and on the dip stick.

Granted, the SVX is a different beast, so my experience with the Honda is only a rough indication of how the SVX would react. Nevertheless, unless your oil light comes on, you should be okay. There are some rare situations where the oil warning light does not give warning, but this is quite uncommon. If you're concerned about it, getting an aftermarket oil pressure gauge is the best way to find assurance.

P.E.T.S. (People for the Ethical Treatment of Subarus) Disclaimer:
No SVXs were harmed in these experiments. None of these abusive experiments have been attempted on an SVX. Hondas have been used for situations that might place any real vehicles in danger.

Last edited by UberRoo; 07-13-2004 at 01:38 AM.