View Single Post
Old 07-08-2009, 11:33 AM

Re: studs breaking off

Actually, the car has been confined to the garage until this is fixed.

Luckily this is my third car, and not imperative for daily use. But I would like to have it up as soon as at all possible.

The car is sitting on the wheel with 4 lugs tight, but it has not, and likely will not move until it is done. The last thing I need to do is ruin an SVX wheel, and damage the car by over-stressing the remaining studs.

It does kind of SUCK, though. I am trying to get a line on some lugs, even to keep a couple as spare. but it is also making me think that the car really needs new wheels, and standard conical-seat 12x1.25 lug nuts, that can be emergency replaced at any auto parts store.

A set of McGard spline-drive lugs with bearing conical seats... just like my Legacy wears, and the Miata wears a set of 12x1.5 thread versions... even if one falls off, or gets broken, any autoparts store has normal chrome lug nuts, or even open-ended steel ones, that can serve in a pinch.

this unique and uncommon thing is not great, in terms of interim spare parts availability and "get you home" availability.

The Subaru dealer is 45+ miles away, and the parts counter is barely open on Saturday, and likely doesn't have these in stock, and would require an order anyway.

------------

1992 Claret SVX. Rescued from certain destruction, and still on the road, where it belongs. Waiting for a bit of a makeover, when I can afford it.
2005 Garnet Red Pearl Legacy GT Limited 5-speed. - The late great Subaru sport touring sedan.
1999 Classic Red Miata, Preferred equipment package 5-speed. Fun, fun, fun, in the Sun, sun, sun.