View Single Post
Old 04-09-2003, 09:27 AM
Was MacGyver

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by sfsvx

Wouldn't that make the MPG go DOWN?

I gotta admit I'm a little tired of all this SUV bashing. I've had two Explorers, and appreciated every second of being able to carry family, luggage, bags of mulch, ski gear, furniture, bikes, dogs, family and luggage and ski gear and dogs, lumber, wheelbarrows, barbecue grills, plants, tools, etc., and tow trailers, cars, motorcycles, and espresso carts (don't ask).

Not everybody buys an SUV as a lifestyle statement, and some SUVs actually get used as trucks AND cars. Try putting seven people (or even five) comfortably in a Legacy.

Just had to get that off my chest. Thanks for listening.

I'm done.
Right on! Yes, the way I understand that is that the fuel economy going up means the average vehicle gets more mpg now than 20 years ago. Think about it, 20 years ago was 1983 and full size cars back then had V8's in them, if not crappy V6's that got really poor gas mileage compared to today's engines I'm sure. Yeah, there are a lot of SUV's used as status symbols or whatever, especially around here, but there are a lot of people that use them too. And some of us even need pickup trucks.

Remember kids, we all drive a big heavy luxury coupe with a powerful engine and no better fuel economy than any of those new V6 full size sedans, with a lot less practicality (thinking passenger and cargo room). Face it, the SVX may not be viewed by the world as it anymore, but it is still all about excess, luxury, and performance, not practicality and economy.

You all know I love this car, I'm just a realist and think we need to knock ourselves a couple steps down the pedestal once in a while.

1992 SVX LSL "Serenity" 250,000 miles!

I don't care, I'm still free, You can't take the sky from me...