Thread: m.p.g
View Single Post
Old 01-27-2004, 05:02 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Re: I am glad you all agree with each other...

Quote:
Originally posted by tone
Hi everybody,

I
Probably not too noticeable, on the lower part of the lever base, just below the number "1" there is the Manual button (the button above the "P" is for the power antenna).

Once I tried to use the gear box by pressing the Manual button and starting with the lever in position "1" and then shifting to "2" and "3" and it seemed to work as a manual gearbox although with a lot of time lag between shifts and also the shifting was very smooth.

I never read the owners Manual because the one I have is in German and I donīt understand it but could it be that when I put in the "1" position I am really getting the 2nd gear?
What about the other positions?
Are they always one gear up?
Will I ever go to 4th gear if I choose "3" and progressively floor it?

Cheers.

Tone
Yours seems to have the same configuration as the UK models Tone, and you would expect it to behave the same.

The button you mention above P, on mine that button allows movement of the selector with the ignition off and the solenoids that work the interlock not functioning. Amazed it is working the aerial on yours, is that an aftermarket fixture?

Regards your questions:
yes, with MANU on, if you select 1 it will ignore it, and start the car in 2, and hold 2.

For most situations it would probably be best to select 3 with MANUAL, and let the car [TCU, really] make the decisions on changing up. It will not change back down unless you are nearly stopped.

The positions in MANUAL are not always one up, the only gear ignored is 1. Also MANUAL does not function in D [4], just 2 and 3.

Regards changing up from a lower gear, the answer is yes. The transmission is programmed to select the next higher gear if the revs go beyond a set limit in that gear to save the engine from blowing up. I think the preset level is 6750 revs, but I will have to check this figure, my memory is not faultless these days.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl