View Single Post
Old 02-20-2008, 03:01 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulDexler View Post
Just remember, the studies by the University of Utah, the most in-depth of any on the cel phone problem, say that it is not whether it is a hand-held or hands-free device, it is the conversation itself that is the distraction.

Pardon my rant, but as one who depends on swiftly moving freeway traffic to get around the distances in Southern California, I resent phone yakkers who are part of the anti-destination league.

Paul
There is some common sense in the outcome of that study Paul, but I would have to say talking with one hand holding a phone to your ear simply MUST be more dangerous than holding the same conversation with a hands-free and both hands free to operate controls.

My own rant is that round here people with the most expensive cars, large Mercs and Beemers, they can afford to pay 100,000 Euro for a car, but seem unwilling to pay 100 to 200 Euro to fit a hands-free.

I totally agree with your anecdotal observation; people deep in a conversation tend to drive slowly and are oblivious to surrounding traffic.

I'll add another to this, and probably get screamed at for being sexist. You will get exactly the same slow, deliberate, don't care when we get there, don't move for green lights style of driving if you happen to get caught behind two ladies deep in conversation. It appears to be much worse for older ladies and possibly with mother and daughter combinations. They seem to concentrate on the conversation, and the driving becomes the secondary consideration.

This does not make me to be the perfect driver, I know I have my faults, but this is not one of them. When driving gets difficult or traffic heavy, I have been known to tell passengers to shut up while I concentrate.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl