View Single Post
Old 10-01-2007, 10:49 PM
A.L.I.C.E.

Send a message via AIM to techy101 Send a message via Yahoo to techy101
Show us your home electronics!

I'll start this one off. This system in my basement has been a kind of long term project. I used to work in tech theatre, but it wasn't paying the bills. So I've switched to installing high-end residential low voltage systems. Since that switch I've gained lots of insight into changes I can make to my system, so there'll be periodic changes happening as I can afford them (ugh. Why so many expensive addictions.....eer hobbies)

It's overkill. I know it. But hey, what are hobbies for

The system is a native 7.1 system with support for uncompressed audio. Everything is home-run through the walls to a closet where all the gear is located. The closet is ventilated by a 70 cfm bath fan venting out the top of the room. Door is sealed with weather stripping and a sweeper on the bottom. I've cut a hole at the bottom of the closet into the main room. Vent plates installed on both sides to make it look like a cold air return. Also a filter installed in between to help keep dust out.

I'm hoping to remodel the basement and make two rooms. If that happens, all the surround speakers will become in-wall's.

The reciever is a Denon 2307CI. Hopefully I'll be upgrading it to a 3808 in the not to distant future since I've got the 2307 totally maxed out. I've got a 4x1 HDMI switch to enable use of everything. TV is fed by both a component run and a 50' HDMI run.

The sub and my 4 rear channels are from my old Sony Speaker-in-a-box system. Again, they'll all be replaced, but it's real low on the list. I barely use the sub since I'm in a townhouse.

Front 3 speakers are Paradigm Monitor series.

The system is setup with a Wii, PS3 (also for bluray) and the latest addition an Xbox 360 (also for HD-DVD).

Also there's a PC that's setup as a hard-drive based media/dvd server. All the music, video, and every DVD I own is stored in it. The DVD's are full ISO rips, so they're exact images of the DVD. no compression, etc...

The PC is built like a so-so gaming rig. Nvidia 680i SLI motherboard, intel core 2 duo E4300 (1.8 GHz overclocked to 2.96GHz) 2 gigs OZC RAM, 1.2TB of hard drive space (mostly all full), dual EVGA GeForce 8800 GTS Superclocked video cards in SLI. It's running Vista Home Premium ONLY for DirectX 10 and HDCP. Otherwise I'd much rather be back on XP.

You scroll through images of the box covers on the TV via the remote. Select one and it pulls up all the info on the movie (like from IMDB). Hit play, and it fires right up. Eventually I'll have little terminals at every TV in the place, so you'll be able to pull up any movie on demand from anywhere.

TV is DirecTV. Wired up for dual-feed dvr service to every TV location in the house, along with a gigibit ethernet connection for future implementation of VOD.

And finally, there's a record player included in the whole thing. I couldn't imagine not having it.

For a remote, at the moment is a Harmony 890 RF. I'm about ready to chuck it at the wall. The programming is really pissing me off. Since it won't let you really delve into the programming, but instead you are limited very heavily by the software. I'll be moving on to an RTI remote. We sell them, and because of that have access to the programming software, etc... Since RTI remotes are a dealer installed only item, they're highly overpriced IMHO, but are phenomenal when programmed well. I'll be upgrading to the RTI T3 when the time comes:

The TV will also be upgraded eventually. Going to get one that fills up the entire space.

Ok, time for the pictures:

There's a second interconnect panel that cant' be seen. Has the HDMI run as well as the sat runs and ethernet connections

Here's the small head-end I put in. I'd like to move the telephones to a punchblock on the board as well, but probably won't actually do it. The system there also ties a VOIP unit into the main telephone system of the house.

On another note, here's a small head-end I did for work.

Last edited by techy101; 10-01-2007 at 11:25 PM.