View Single Post
Old 05-24-2007, 05:01 PM
Just some dude.

Significant Technical Input
Trevor, I wasn't commenting on your comments. I was just encouraging him to take my advice seriously instead of dismissing it saying it shifts fine. I'd hate to see him dissmiss my help off hand and burn up his brake band thinking I'm picking on his shift kit when half a turn of a wrench might fix his woes.

The difference between 2nd and 3rd gear is that the brake band is released and the high clutch is engaged to go from 2nd to 3rd. If the transmission is not wanting to go into 3rd either the high clutch isn't engageing properly or the brake band isn't dissengaging. If his other comments are assumed to be correct then his high clutch can be assumed to be functioning--that leaves a problem with the brake band dissengaging. Therefore either his brake band is too tight or the fluid pressure is not being propperly released for the 2-3 shift.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor
I have not been fumbling around and guessing.

It has been necessary be sure of the exact nature of the fault, which is now defined as follows:-

“ it wont shift out of second unless i let off of the gas down to less than 2/3 of the way depressed,”

“more of just it stop accelerating , sits there for a second then decides to go into third.”

It will be seen that I made particular reference to the TPS for good reason, as a delay in shifting is the essence of the complaint.

The shifting 3 - 2 is electronically controlled by the TCU, via solenoid valve no. 3, in conduction with the 3 -2 timing valve, specifically to time/delay the shift to provide smooth operation.

N.B. There has been no indication provided, indicating slip or drag. If brake band adjustment is required, it must be that the symptoms as stated, are confusing.