View Single Post
Old 02-26-2006, 05:10 PM
15th time is a charm?

Registered SVX
Miracle on Wheels-- Project: Pearl, returns after 4yr dormancy

Project Pearl.

So, as some of you may had read, during December I purchased the pair of SVX "parts cars" on ebay from Kinley Subaru in Williamsport Pennsylvania.

Here is a link to the auction:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...&category=6783

Kinleys had picked up this car from a customer to part out, as the previous owner of the dealership allowed the sale of salvage/ used parts. The car had only 115k on it at the time. It was parked in about 2002 (according to our evidence/ title) It had a dead transmission, a salvage/rebuilt history, and various missing parts. Could it come back?

Well, luck would have it, I won the auction for $660.00

My intent was to work in conjunction with John (avppow) and Eric (its just eric) to bring the Pearl 92 LS back to life. I believed that we could make it live again.

Thanks to TomsSVX, we were able to bring the vehicles home. (much thanks again) Tom and I weathered treacherous snow and ice to bring this pearl home. The 92 lsl ebony parts car came a few weeks later when we were able to go out there again. Much thanks to Dan at Kinleys for working with me.

I ended up moving away to college a few weeks after this all transpired, and I left the car with John and Eric to complete.

From the pictures, the car did not look all that bad, but it required a whole bunch of extra consideration because of the time it had spent sitting, plus parts being stripped from its shell.

It was at this time, a co worker of mine, named Brian (now "Excall" on here)
approached me with the desire to purchase the car. We agreed on a fair price, (under $2000, I will let Brian disclose if he chooses) on the condition that the car would run (in the back of my mind, i was hoping that these guys could make a miracle)

John and Eric did an excellent job bringing this car back to road ready condition. They transplanted the rebuilt trans from the black car into the pearl and repaired the entire exhaust (bye bye p.i.t.a. heatshields), for instance. There were also a host of missing parts, everything from Sunvisors to lugs, to hardware and seats.

Thanks to Mike Davis("Green1995SVX" here and "KinetiqSystems" on Ebay.com) Brian was able to obtain a nice set of leather seats as a suitable replacement, and Mike contributed other small pieces to the puzzle in parts also. I also pulled some pieces from Tom and I's 1992 Silver parts car (formerly Zavikan's car)

I trekked down to southern NJ this weekend, because it was time. I had won my fight with NJ DMV over the title and had it in hand, Brian had saved the balance owed, and John, Eric and Brian had put hours and hours into making this car roadworthy, and worthy again to be a Subaru SVX.

Things that had to be repaired replaced or transplanted included the transmission, alternator, radiator, and interior.

Tension was building in the garage, we were all anxious to see the result of all the work (and money spent). John turned the key and she ran without an exhaust, we were thrilled, but there was still work to be done.

John and Eric spent a few more hours drilling/cutting/ etc with the exhaust, with a newfound remedy to eliminate the need for the studs in the manifolds. Brian and I worked on the last finishing touches and I cleaned feverishly (she was quite nasty from being out in the dirt yard behind the dealer for four years-- it still needs some tlc)

We finally were ready. Brian looked like he was about to burst with excitement. John and Eric looked ready to pass out, and I, well.... I was either about to make a couple hundred bucks and a great friend a whole lot happier, or I was about to be(edit: continue being) a broke bastard. He sat in the car, and turned the key. She fired right up. Brian backed her out of the garage.

She had moved under her own power!

After a little Seafoam treatment, she purred like a kitten. We went for a ride, and man, was I impressed. This was by far the smoothest driving and shifting SVX that I have driven in to date (thanks to these guys and some new fluids and filters). She will need some paintwork, front seals, and v cover gaskets, but thats minor, and will be addressed as the new owner's finances and time allows.

Thank you so much, John, Eric, Brian, Tom, and Mike.

This car would not had lived to see the road again if it wasnt for you guys.

Brian, enjoy your new wheels man, you deserve them more than anyone I know.

For the love of the drive, and to the best friends a guy could have....

Last edited by Mike621; 02-26-2006 at 06:48 PM.