View Single Post
Old 07-05-2001, 08:48 AM
Inventor of the 5-speed swap

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Wink Electronic controled speedo

Quote:
Originally posted by KEVINL

You may need a Tranny with a Electronic controlled Speedo the outback was but I think older legacys still used a Speedo cable
The unit that changes it to electronic signal mounts to the cable hookup on the tranny then the speedo cable hook into it(Yes my 92 SVX has a cable and electronic speed sensor. I believe the electronic unit is for the cruise control).
Another thing to remember in doing a swap is that you have to use the original torque converter(have it rebuilt about $200) as the SVX has a unique flywheel the won't bolt up to any other torque conv.
I'm running a Legacy Tranny in mine right now, I swapped in the original front diff. and now a front axle bearing is going out. hence my new project of putting in a manual in its place, which will eliminate all the automatic problems.....hmmmm now I'll just have to worry aout replacing the clutch instead of the tranny
The Legacy Tranny(other than the torque conv.) was a direct bolt in swap, but as allready suggested, use the Legacy diff's(front and rear) and it'll be less hassle.
Hope this has been helpful
88 XT6 AWD 5-Speed "Bride of FrankenWedge"
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
My 5-Speed "How-To" Write-up
1976 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Current Count of Subaru's Owned.... "70"