View Single Post
Old 07-10-2015, 07:39 AM
Posting since Dec.'98
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: A/C Compressor Drag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapani View Post
Does the compressor still cycle with a lowish charge?
/T
No. It runs normally. No cutting in and out.
Quote:
I think a dealer can read the evaporator temperature with the diagnostics kit... maybe the thermocouple is bad/T
I went to the dealer and spoke with a "Long term" mechanic who said "We're not that good at air conditioning here. We just basically replace parts. I don't know of any place that can really trouble shoot a/c"
Quote:
? Are you sure your compressor and pressure switch are really OK? /T
When the a/c is turned on the compressor is engaged and stays that way. The outlet is hot which indicates to me that it is doing it's job when running but the output from the condenser isn't cold.
Quote:
next thing I'd do is replace the expansion valve. Sticking should be readily picked up by a professional from the pressures, though./T
Finding the professional has been my problem. So far in the past 2 years I've put about $900 into trying to fix it.

At the collision shop I explained what the previous shop had done, which included adding 200 cc of oil with each of the 3 charges. The tech was shocked and said that may be part of your problem. There is probably way too much oil in there. He didn't add any when he did the charges. Having said that the a/c barely worked on the initial charge after replacing the compressor.

I'm thinking that your initial comment about blockage may be correct. I have had no success in finding a shop that can flush the system and have been told the only correct way to do it is to remove all the components and hoses and flush them individually with a pulsing back flush unit which no one around here seems to have. Better to just replace IMHO, but pricey.
One thing I read was that blockage can occur in the orifice tube also.
A complicating factor in all this is that my transmission cooler, which I've had since '96, is attached to the lower front of the condenser and I also have a power steering line cooler just at the the base of the condenser and radiator between the two. Really hesitant to start ripping things out in case one thing cascades into the other.

This looks like a winter project as I don't want to be without the SVX for a major portion of the summer.
ART Cryogenic/Slotted Rotors, Stainless Steel Brake Lines, PWR Radiator, Tranny cooler, Stebro, Earthworm's Poly Differential/front & rear swaybar bushings, Koni Inserts and Mychailo SVX Sport Springs all 4 corners, Indigo Blue paint. Liquid Silver Wheels.