View Single Post
Old 07-21-2010, 07:09 AM

Registered SVX
Re: 11:1 Engine Rebuild

Thanks for the input guys.

I cleaned the block with soap and water, then blew it dry with an air nozzle on a compressor. They I masked the areas that I didn't want to get paint in them (oil pump, water pump, engine internals, decks, and bell housing). Then I layed plastic down, arranged the parts on it, and sprayed using dupli-color engine enamel. 2 light coats 10 minutes apart, with a final "wet" coat (moderately thick coat).

With all the ketones inside the paint, it was almost impossible to get runs. Good stuff as far as application goes, it was very simple. To touch it up I sprayed the can into a mixing cup (FACING AWAY FROM ME) and used a brush to get all the little spots I could not spray. I then finished by wiping all the areas that were not supposed to be painted again with MEK (Mehtyl Ethyl Ketone).

All of this was done OUTSIDE where it was well ventilated. And let me tell you, the fumes of that ketone still were getting to me. Nasty stuff. One should always wear thick nitrile gloves when using ketones, and NEVER do so inside without a respirator or industrial ventilation system. Same goes for spraying the paint, although thick gloves are not necessary. I still recommend some form of protective glove.

As far as the pistons go, .006" was removed from the decks on the block. The heads were barely touched, and have plenty of meat left on them. I can get the measurements up here if necessary. Since it is such a minute amount in reality, I am not seeing such a small increase in HG thickness causing other issues. The pistons were made extremely well and specifically for this engine. If I can restore the stock (+- .002" cut to the decks on the head) height of the decks it should guarantee that I will have no issues. Theoretically. As I have said though, we shall see when I assemble the short block.

'92 Ls-L Dark Teal
11:1 CR ECUTUNE pistons
ECUTUNE .256 duration intake/exhaust cams
ECUTUNE STAGE 2AV1 ECU
Z32 MAF/SR20DET injectors
Balanced & Blueprinted

Last edited by Cam; 04-03-2011 at 09:30 PM.