View Single Post
Old 09-07-2002, 08:36 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
If it passed idle and is failing cruise for HC I'd double check the PCV system. Like I said earlier, try removing the oil cap while the engine is idling and see if there's a flow of air coming out. A light pulsing is normal. Gas engines run dirtier at idle than cruise, I'd be hard pressed to believe the cat is bad. Not to say it can't be bad, but it doesn't make logic at this point in time.

If you failed NOx at cruise I'd be taking a close look at the EGR system. Try moving a vacuum hose over to it while it's idling, it should die when vacuum is applied at idle. If it doesn't die you have a plugged EGR port or a defective EGR valve. If it does die you may have a problem with the solenoid that applies vacuum to the valve or maybe something as benign as a disconnected/broken/leaking vac hose going to it.

It would be much simpler for you if you had access to a four-gas analyzer. Just remember that sometimes it's better to take it to a good shop and have it fixed than it is to take the 'shotgun' approach and throw lots of unecessary (and expensive) parts at the problem. Good Luck!

p.s. You did drive the car 15-30 minutes before taking in for testing, didn't you? A lot of people fail for that reason alone.

Last edited by Beav; 09-07-2002 at 08:39 PM.